SQL Server 2005 Client for Administration remotely?

• Currently i use Terminal Services to remotely connect to my hosted server and then run SSMS within the session to adminster my SQL Server 2005 SP3 standard edition.

I've been doing this for some time but was wondering about SQL Server Client?

Can i install this on my local machine with my server login settings and credentials and do all the same work remotely?

Looking for some advice and perhaps the pros and cons.

I assume i can just load the DVD into my local drive and somehow select a client install?

• Yep, that's how I do it for the site. VPN in, run SSMS locally on my desktop, connect to the server.

You just install the client tools from setup, but for the connection, you'll need to talk to your networking folks and be sure this is supported with your remote connection. They might only be allowing 3389 (RDP) and not 1433 (T-SQL standard) to communicate. If you have named instances, it can be slightly more complicated, but it should work if you get the right connection properties

• We do have named instances but set up using TCP/IP standard ports, etc.. for web development work from our local machines, so hopefully connecting should be easy enough. We have done it many ways using various connection methods in the past, including VPN tunnels.

Sounds like i just need to run the CD and do the client installation. The only thing is i have already installed a FULL Server version on my local machine as a development server.

If i then try and install the client version on the same machine will i experience trouble with my DEV installation?

I've had a lot of trouble in the past installing SQL server on my computer and getting it to run properly with all the trimmings like BIDS, Visual Web Developer, etc...

It now runs perfectly as a development box so i don't really want to screw things up?

Do you think it's best to install the client version on a separate computer to separate the dev from the admin tasks?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply