SQL Server 2005 Backup not seeing the network drive

• hi everyone,

I have a network drive map to my window server. I can view and have full access to the network drive. But when I try to create a backup to that. I can not see that drive. it's might be something obvious that i miss. please help?

• This is a known issue. SQL 2000, 2005, and likely 2008 will not show anything but local drives on the Server. This excludes SAN drives as the drivers for most SANs make the OS think the drives are installed locally.

You are still able to backup to the network location, but you have to use UNC file paths (i.e. \\Server\share) to get the information there.

Regards, Irish 

• Also, unless you have space constraints, I would not backup directly to a network share. Any network issues will cause your backup to fail. I'd backup to a local directory first, then move the backup file to the network share.

😎

• thanks for the reply. I did what you said and now i got the fail to create error. Operating system error 5.

I use to have an external where i back up to it first before moving the backups to network. My external just fail. While waiting for it. I thought I should backup straight to the network.

• Just a guess, but if I remember correctly that sounds like a permission error or the directory you are trying to access does not exist.

😎

• When you are backing up or restoring - it is SQL server accounts that are accessing the share. If your SQL server accounts do not have modify rights on the share, you will receive Error 5.

• that does make a lot of sense. Thanks for all the help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply