sql query > phpfile > cron timer ???

• Hey m8's,

I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing these 3 steps up.

I have never done it..

Outcast: I am running a website with 198,000 members, each member can PM another member a max of 25 messages per a day. After they hit 25 messages a day they are blocked from sending any more.

I did not program this site and I have no clue how to fix this.

So What i have done was found a MYSQL Query that i can run and it resets them to 0.

Now knowing that, I want to know how i can put the query code:

UPDATE members SET messages=0 WHERE member_id;

Once that sql query is executed the messages reset and they can send them again.

I want to know if some one can help me make this "query SQL" a php script. So i can set a Cron Job for everyday at 12am.

If you know of a easier better way please let me know.

🙂

• Is there a reason this can't be a SQL job that runs everyday?

• bwoulfe (12/20/2011)

Is there a reason this can't be a SQL job that runs everyday?

Not sure how to do that, It's a linux server, I have no access to phpadmin on the host their not nice people.

I use "Remote DB Editor" for "MYSQL". What can I use to do this? Is their a php script etc. Where i dont have to install a new DB. I am out of space for new DB's!

• Wow, big oversight on my part. I missed the part where you said this is a MySQL database. Sorry, I only have limited experience in that realm. This is a SQL Server forum. I'm not saying you won't find someone here that can help you, it's just that you might have better success on a forum dedicated to those types of environments.

• bwoulfe (12/20/2011)

Wow, big oversight on my part. I missed the part where you said this is a MySQL database. Sorry, I only have limited experience in that realm. This is a SQL Server forum. I'm not saying you won't find someone here that can help you, it's just that you might have better success on a forum dedicated to those types of environments.

WOw, OVERSIGHT!! on me!;

Didnt realise their was a big diff. Im a newbie but thanks.

• Do the owners of this 198k-member website realize how much trouble they're in? :unsure:

______________________________________________________________________________
    How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.

• I want to know if some one can help me make this "query SQL" a php script. So i can set a Cron Job for everyday at 12am.

:-)[/quote]

Is this the intended behaviour of this site though. As there are so many sites out there that limit the amount of times a user can send messages to each other in order that they then sign up and have to pay money to continue being able to send messages

There is a way to do what you want but first I would check with the owners of the website what the intended behaviour is.

• DemonicKat78 (12/23/2011)

I want to know if some one can help me make this "query SQL" a php script. So i can set a Cron Job for everyday at 12am.

🙂

Is this the intended behaviour of this site though. As there are so many sites out there that limit the amount of times a user can send messages to each other in order that they then sign up and have to pay money to continue being able to send messages

There is a way to do what you want but first I would check with the owners of the website what the intended behaviour is.

???

• Dev (12/23/2011)

DemonicKat78 (12/23/2011)

🙂

???

Dude, WTH are you talking about? im sorry im so confused lol

This has nothing to do with this site at all!! Has to do with mine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply