SQL QUERY LOOP

• Dear experts,

I have the following query which generates for me row with identical entries :-

SELECT (T2.U_Bin) FROM OIBT T2, [@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE T2.Quantity > 0 AND

T2.U_Bin = T3.Code GROUP BY T2.U_Bin HAVING COUNT(T2.U_Bin) >1

What I would like to do is for every row out put from the query above i make an update as follows :

IF (SELECT (T2.U_Bin) FROM OIBT T2, [@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE T2.Quantity > 0 AND

T2.U_Bin = T3.Code GROUP BY T2.U_Bin HAVING COUNT(T2.U_Bin) >1)

BEGIN

DECLARE @TOTAL AS DECIMAL

SELECT @TOTAL = SUM (T2.QUANTITY) FROM OIBT T2,[@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE T2.Quantity > 0 AND

UPDATE [@BINMATRIX] SET U_CurrentWeight = @TOTAL,Code = OIBT.U_Bin,U_ItemCode = OIBT.ItemCode,

U_Empty = 'N',U_MaxWeight = OITM.U_MaxWeight,U_BatchNumber = OIBT.IntrSerial FROM OIBT,[@BINMATRIX],OITM WHERE OIBT.Quantity > 0 AND [@BINMATRIX].Code = OIBT.U_Bin AND OIBT.ItemCode = OITM.ItemCode

END

The update does not occur for every row, but only picks the total sum of the last row only and then updates the table [@binmatrix] with only that figure. It does not loop and make an update for each total for each row but for the last total only.

I would like it to make an update line by line for each row total . Please help.

• Instead of an IF statement , should I make use of a while loop ?

• I think there isn't required to user While loop, you just need to remove the [@BINMATRIX] in update query from "FROM"

IF (SELECT (T2.U_Bin) FROM OIBT T2, [@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE T2.Quantity > 0 AND

T2.U_Bin = T3.Code GROUP BY T2.U_Bin HAVING COUNT(T2.U_Bin) >1)

BEGIN

DECLARE @TOTAL AS DECIMAL

SELECT @TOTAL = SUM (T2.QUANTITY) FROM OIBT T2,[@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE T2.Quantity > 0 AND

UPDATE [@BINMATRIX] SET U_CurrentWeight = @TOTAL,Code = OIBT.U_Bin,U_ItemCode = OIBT.ItemCode,

U_Empty = 'N',U_MaxWeight = OITM.U_MaxWeight,U_BatchNumber = OIBT.IntrSerial FROM OIBT,OITM WHERE OIBT.Quantity > 0 AND [@BINMATRIX].Code = OIBT.U_Bin AND OIBT.ItemCode = OITM.ItemCode

END

Try out this...

• Martin, I am not able to figure out what these tables are but I will try to post an answer.

Having to loop for each row is a very costly operation. Once the application scales up and say, you get a million rows to loop through; this can lead to very bad performance. I think you can do the same by writing it in a single query.

What you are doing currently is -

if ( select ... having count(col) > 1)

begin

select @stuff = stuff from table

update some other stuff = @stuff

end

Instead try this -

update some other stuff = stuff

from table

--check up update with join

where

(select .. having count(col) > 1)

You can avoid the loops and get your query running faster. Further, try to use joins in your queries. Also, check out update with join.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191472.aspx

It always helps if you post the table definition.

- arjun

https://sqlroadie.com/

• Dear Hardik,

I have tried outputting @TOTAL and I only get one value, the last row. The update hence is made for that row only. Please find attached the two tables attached you may run the query on them.

You may leave out the OITM table.

Kind Regards

• Arjun,

Thanks for this. In the update statement @total is actually a summation of the quantity field, how can we capture that in one update statement ?

Find attached the files for the two tables.

• if possible send me some data.. which cause you problem...

(data with expected output)

and also the "OITM" structure for this...

• Find attached TXT files with the actual data. Does this suffice for an import ? If not please tell me what to do.

• Hi martin, thanks for the details. I will check them and get back to you. I'm a little busy currently.

- arjun

• Hardik,

The OITM table is not that important in this. You may actually leave it out.

Kind Regards,

• Try out this...

UPDATE [@BINMATRIX] SET U_CurrentWeight =

(SELECT SUM (CAST(T2.Quantity as numeric)) FROM OIBT T2,[@BINMATRIX] T3 WHERE CAST(T2.Quantity as numeric) > 0 AND

T2.U_Bin = T3.Code AND T2.U_Bin = OIBT.U_Bin)

,Code = OIBT.U_Bin,U_ItemCode = OIBT.ItemCode,

U_Empty = 'N', U_BatchNumber = OIBT.IntrSerial

FROM OIBT,[@BINMATRIX] WHERE CAST(OIBT.Quantity as numeric) > 0

AND [@BINMATRIX].Code = OIBT.U_Bin

You can put extra condition at bottom

• Is that working....???

• hi martin, why don't you do something like this?

U_Empty = 'N',

--U_MaxWeight = OITM.U_MaxWeight,

U_BatchNumber = OIBT.IntrSerial

FROM

OIBT,[@BINMATRIX]--,OITM

WHERE

OIBT.Quantity > 0 AND [@BINMATRIX].Code = OIBT.U_Bin --AND OIBT.ItemCode = OITM.ItemCode

and OIBT.U_Bin in

(

SELECT (T2.U_Bin)

FROM OIBT T2, [@BINMATRIX] T3

WHERE T2.Quantity > 0

AND T2.U_Bin = T3.Code

GROUP BY T2.U_Bin

HAVING COUNT(T2.U_Bin) >1

)

You can write a sub-query for the @total part.

I haven't verified this with data as I didn't want to copy the data you posted and create insert scripts.

- arjun

• Dear Hardik,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for your query, it worked well.

Kind Regards,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply