SQL query help needed

• I need help doing a query. Here is a simplified version of what I need to achieve.

I have 2 tables, one with sale information and one storing memos. The table storing memos stores memos for not only sales but for events also. I need to get all sales, even if they don't have a memo and if they do, I need to only get the memo related to the sale (tablename = sale)

Sale Table

SID People Amount

109 2 23.95

110 5 100.65

Memo Table

MID TableName ParentID Memo

20 SALE 109 this is a sale memo

21 EVENT 109 this is an event memo

I need to get the following result

SID People Amount Memo

109 2 23.95 this is a sale memo

110 5 100.65 NULL

Right now I have a query like this:

select sid, people, amount, memo

from sale left outer join memo

on sid = parentid

Unfortunately this gives me the following result

SID People Amount Memo

109 2 23.95 this is a sale memo

109 2 23.95 this is an event memo

110 5 100.65 NULL

Can someone help? I thank you very much in advance.

• select sid, people, amount, memo

from sale left outer join memo

on sid = parentid

AND memo.TableName = 'SALE'

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• I've tried adding

and Tablename = 'SALE' in my query but if a sale does not have a memo, it will disregard the sale alltogether

Thanks for your help though

• Zaza (9/10/2009)

I've tried adding

and Tablename = 'SALE' in my query but if a sale does not have a memo, it will disregard the sale alltogether

Please show us your code. Since we aren't mind readers, we have no way of knowing what you have actually tried.

• Make sure that the TableName = 'Sale' is in the ON clause and not in the WHERE clause.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Zaza (9/10/2009)

I've tried adding

Are you sure you didn't try adding WHERE Tablename = 'SALE'? Cuz that would have filtered out the row as you're saying. Adding it onto the join should work properly unless you have other things going on in the query that we can't see. As Lynn said, it may be easier just to post your code.

Seth Phelabaum

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Hi Drew,

Your suggestion worked. My final query looks like this:

select s.id, s.people, s.amount, s.ref, m.recordid, m.tablename, m.txt

from sale as s

left outer join usermemo as m

on s.id = m.recordid and m.tablename = 'SALE'

It disregards records with memos coming from other tables (tablename SALE) and at the same times it also lists sales even if they do no have any memos.

Can you please explain what is the difference putting the statement in the ON clause instead of in the WHERE clause.

Thanks again for your help

• Thanks everyone.. I was putting the AND tablename = 'SALE' in a where clause instead of in the ON clause..

• If you put it in the ON clause of a left join, it only joins that table where the criteria is met, but since it is a left join, your original records are still returned.

If you put it in the where, both types of records make it though the join, but then they're filtered out by your where clause because it applies to the entire query, not a specific table.

Putting criteria like this in your where clause essentially converts your left join to an inner join.

Seth Phelabaum

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply