SQL Query Help

• I have three tables as below. How can I query them to provide the result below?

PersonName

1John

2Jason

3Chris

4David

PersonTotalDistrict

1$50 101

2$75 102

3$90 103

DistrictDistrictName

101North

102South

103Mid-Atlantic

104West

RESULT:

PersonNameDistrictDistrictNameTotal

1John101North $50

2Jason102South $75

3Chris103Mid-Atlantic$90

4David104West $0

• Before anyone jumps in and does your homework, why don't you show us what you have done so far to solver your problem. This is really an easy thing to accomplish and it won't help you much if we just give you the answer without at least having you give it a go first.

Something to do with giving a fish and learning to fish...

• kabolick (1/26/2009)

I have three tables as below. How can I query them to provide the result below?

PersonName

1John

2Jason

3Chris

4David

PersonTotalDistrict

1$50 101

2$75 102

3$90 103

DistrictDistrictName

101North

102South

103Mid-Atlantic

104West

RESULT:

PersonNameDistrictDistrictNameTotal

1John101North $50

2Jason102South $75

3Chris103Mid-Atlantic$90

4David104West $0

Also, looking at the requested RESULT, not going to happen as there is NO way to link David to District 104 (West).

• Ok, you're right about the result. I think this is an over simplified example of a problem I am having for a query for an SSRS report, not my homework 🙂 Basically, I have a table that stores metrics. The SSRS report has a parameter value on the Anchor_Event that retrieves only those records for that Anchor_Event, obviously. However, I need the query to pull all Metrics regardless of the Anchor_Event having a value for that metric.

Below is the result of the basic query

SELECT QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.TransitionName,

QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.MetricDescription,

QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.Status, QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.Phase,

QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.Anchor_Event, TBL_METRIC.MetricID, TBL_ANCHOR_EVENT.AnchorEventId

FROM QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC INNER JOIN

TBL_ANCHOR_EVENT ON

QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.Anchor_Event = TBL_ANCHOR_EVENT.AnchorEvent INNER JOIN

TBL_METRIC ON QRY_AR_DASHBOARD_REPORTING_SUMMARY_STATUS_METRIC.MetricDescription = TBL_METRIC.MetricDescription

TransitionNameMetricDescriptionStatusAnchor_EventMetricIdAnchorEventId

TEST1DESC12Phase1A121

TEST1DESC21Phase1A141

TEST1DESC31Phae1A151

TEST1DESC41Phase2A171

TEST1DESC53Phase1A1111

If I perform an Outer Join on the Metrics table I get the following:

TEST1DESC12Phase1AD1                                                                                                                                                                                                     21

NULLNULLNULLNULLNULL3NULL

TEST2DESC21Phase1AD1                                                                                                                                                                                                     41

TEST3DESC31Phase1AD1                                                                                                                                                                                                     51

NULLNULLNULLNULLNULL6NULL

TEST4DESC41Phase2AD1                                                                                                                                                                                                     71

NULLNULLNULLNULLNULL8NULL

NULLNULLNULLNULLNULL9NULL

NULLNULLNULLNULLNULL10NULL

TEST5DESC53Phase1AD1                                                                                                                                                                                                     111

So, when the parameter value is selected, the nulls will never appear on the report. I need to show all Metrics (Columns) for all Anchor_Events (Rows) in my matrix table in my report.

• LEFT JOIN TBL_ANCHOR_EVENT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply