SQL Profiler

• I run SQL Server Management Studio Express on my tower at work, I want to be able to run SQL Profiler on another SQL server. is this possible? without haveing to remote desktop into the computer that has the full versions of SQL?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• If you have Profiler installed on your local machine then you can run Profiler against any server on which you have ALTER TRACE permissions (2005/2008) or are a member of the sysadmin group (any version)

• I think that is my problem, I can seem to get Profiler installed on my OS. Can Profiler be installed with

SQL Server Management Studio Express, or do I need to have the full paid version of SQL?

IO know that i can run Profiler IF i remote desktop to the main server, but this is slow and laggy, i wish to run it from my local machine, but every time i try to install Profiler it fails. I tried xSQL Profiler, however it was easy to run but it did not give me the details I wanted to see as the SQL profiler did.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• My understanding of licensing is that if you or your company has a licensed version of SQL Server you can install the client tools on any PC. Of course this may or may not be the correct understanding. I have typically had a developer edition of SQL Server which is licensed to me so I can install the tools on all my PC's from that.

• Here is a quote from the latest Microsoft Product Use Rights (pp. 40-41) document available here(be sure to us IE as it crashed FireFox):

III) Running Instances of the Additional Software. You may run or otherwise use any number of instances of the additional software listed in the table below in physical or virtual operating system environments on any number of devices. You may use those instances only with the server software. Use of any instance with the server software may be indirect, through other additional software, or direct.

SQL Server 2008 Workgroup, Small Business, Standard and Enterprise Editions

•Business Intelligence Development Studio

•Client Tools Backward Compatibility

•Client Tools Connectivity

•Client Tools Software Development Kit

•Management Studio

•Sync Framework

•SQL Server 2008 Books Online

It doesn't mention Profiler, but Profiler is not mentioned in the document anywhere.

• Thank you for the info, I am going to go harass my IT department and see if they can figure out why it will not install.

-Practical Magic[/font]

• there is a free open source project that is a 2005 profiler, independant of MS;

I use it all the time and it is very good.: very small footprint and you can install that and not worry about licensing or having to reinstall a higer licenswe just to get a profiler.

http://www.ridgway.co.za/archive/2007/07/10/profiler-for-sql-express.aspx

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you. helps alot 🙂

-Practical Magic[/font]

• run the traces server side then you'll have no worries 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply