SQL Performance Q''s

• watch the cpu time in sysprocesses as this is accumulative and doesn't actually relate to cpu % use.

I don't know which sql tools run against 64bit sql, we nearly went to 64bit but they got frightened !!!! ,

I'd go for Diagnostic Manager or Spotlight ( assuming they support 64bit ) to get a handle on what is happening. I had a similar issue with high cpu and found that I was being spammed ( almost a DOS attack ) by a couple of the com boxes - one doesn't clear pooling and I end up with 50 connections all attempting to send the same sql x times /sec. I also had an app issue where a retry went to as fast as it could go ( xxx's /sec ) under certain circumstances. I used diagnostic manager to isolate these.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I have diagnostic manager, spotlight, and indepth all installed.  Indepth is only useful to use with the 'worst performing' module, but once you get the query times down to run in an acceptable range and stuff... the lists it generates is almost useless - especially when the procedures are down to seconds.  Also - the report output is horrible and it takes forever to get it to look good in an excel file.  Spolight is only good for a days worth of monitoring and InDepth is good if you know how to use it and I find it doesnt give you enough immediate problem resolution areas.  They all have their pros and cons.  We are only running indepth currently and it is just being used for long term monitoring.  Thanks for all of your suggestions - I will let you know how today goes.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply