Sql Performance issue

• Hi all,

please find the below code . Any suggestions on improving the performance of the t-sql batch is highly appreciated.

BEGIN

declare @SearchText varchar(100)

declare @ArticleTypeIDs varchar(20)

declare @TopicIDs varchar(20)

declare @RegionIDs varchar(15)

declare @DateFrom smalldatetime

declare @DateTo smalldatetime

declare @DateOn smalldatetime

declare @MagazineIssueID int

declare @Skip int

declare @Take int

declare @TotalRecords int

set @SearchText = 'google'

set @ArticleTypeIDs = null

set @TopicIDs = null

set @RegionIDs = null

set @DateFrom = null

set @DateTo = null

set @DateOn = null

set @MagazineIssueID = 11

set @Skip = 0

set @Take = 10

set @TotalRecords = null

-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from

-- interfering with SELECT statements.

SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @table_Results TABLE(ID int, RowNumber int)

DECLARE @SQL varchar(max)

SET @SQL = '

SELECT Article_ID AS [ID], ROW_NUMBER() OVER (order by Article_StartDate DESC) AS RowNumber

FROM Articles

WHERE Article_Approved = 1

AND ISNULL(Article_EndDate, getDate()) >= getDate()

AND cast(Floor(cast(Article_StartDate AS float)) AS datetime) <= getDate()'

IF (@SearchText IS NOT NULL) AND (@SearchText <> '')

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND CONTAINS(Article_BodyRaw, ''' + @SearchText + ''')'

END

-- do dates

IF NOT @DateOn IS NULL

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND cast(Floor(cast(Article_StartDate AS float)) AS datetime) = ''' + CAST(@DateOn AS varchar) + ''''

END

ELSE

BEGIN

IF (NOT @DateFrom IS NULL) AND (NOT @DateTo IS NULL)

BEGIN -- if we have a from and to date, we use between

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND cast(Floor(cast(Article_StartDate AS float)) AS datetime) BETWEEN ''' + CAST(@DateFrom AS varchar) + ''' AND ''' + CAST(@DateTo AS varchar) + ''''

END

ELSE -- we add them individually

BEGIN

IF NOT @DateFrom IS NULL

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND cast(Floor(cast(Article_StartDate AS float)) AS datetime) >= ''' + CAST(@DateFrom AS varchar) + ''''

END

IF NOT @DateTo IS NULL

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND cast(Floor(cast(Article_StartDate AS float)) AS datetime) <= ''' + CAST(@DateTo AS varchar) + ''''

END

END

END

-- article types

IF (@ArticleTypeIDs IS NOT NULL) AND (@ArticleTypeIDs <> '')

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND ArticleType_ID IN (SELECT item FROM fnSplit(''' + @ArticleTypeIDs + ''', '',''))'

END

-- my attempt at topics

IF (@TopicIDs IS NOT NULL) AND (@TopicIDs <> '')

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND Article_ID IN (SELECT a.Article_ID

FROM Articles a INNER JOIN X_ArticleTopic xat ON a.Article_ID = xat.Article_ID

WHERE xat.Topic_ID IN (SELECT item FROM fnSplit(''' + @TopicIDs + ''', '','')))'

END

-- my attempt at regions

IF (@RegionIDs IS NOT NULL) AND (@RegionIDs <> '')

BEGIN

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

AND Article_ID IN (SELECT a.Article_ID

FROM Articles a INNER JOIN X_ArticleRegion xar ON a.Article_ID = xar.Article_ID

WHERE xar.Region_ID IN (SELECT item FROM fnSplit(''' + @RegionIDs + ''', '','')))'

END

-- and now limit it to a magazine issue if appropriate

if (@MagazineIssueID is not null) and @MagazineIssueID > 0

begin

SET @SQL = @SQL + '

and Article_ID in (select Article_ID

from dbo.X_ArticleMagazineIssue

where MagazineIssue_ID = ' + cast(@MagazineIssueID as varchar) + ')'

end

--SELECT @SQL

INSERT INTO @table_Results

EXEC (@SQL);

end

• Why are you doing all those conversions on the date column? Can you not just leave them as datetime? I'd guess that's what's killing performance. In order to be sure, we need table and index DDL and execution plans from you, please.

John

• please refer to the Gails article...we will be able to help a little better

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

How to Post Performance Problems

• I'm seeing nested inline views - that is usually a performance killer.

Would you mind in posting cardinalities as well as available indexes? please include distinct keys counts for each index.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually have one more query to include in the t-sql batch i posted.

and the query is

SELECT @TotalRecords = COUNT(ID) FROM @table_Results

SELECT a.Article_ID, a.ArticleType_ID, a.Source_ID, a.Article_Approved,

a.Article_StartDate, a.Article_EndDate, a.Article_Image, a.Article_Headline,

a.Article_Standfirst, s.Source_Name, at.ArticleType_Name

FROM @table_Results temp INNER JOIN Articles a ON temp.ID = a.Article_ID INNER JOIN

LKUP_Sources s ON a.Source_ID = s.Source_ID INNER JOIN

LKUP_ArticleTypes at ON a.ArticleType_ID = at.ArticleType_ID

WHERE temp.RowNumber BETWEEN @Skip AND (@Skip + @Take)

ORDER BY temp.RowNumber ASC

Please find the execution plan attached.

and here are the indexes on the article table.

1)

USE [TotalTelecom]

GO

/****** Object: Index [IX_a_articletypeid] Script Date: 12/02/2010 16:10:17 ******/

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_a_articletypeid] ON [dbo].[Articles]

(

[ArticleType_ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

2)

USE [TotalTelecom]

GO

/****** Object: Index [IX_a_userid] Script Date: 12/02/2010 16:10:41 ******/

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_a_userid] ON [dbo].[Articles]

(

[User_ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

3)

USE [TotalTelecom]

GO

/****** Object: Index [PK_Articles] Script Date: 12/02/2010 16:10:57 ******/

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Articles] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_Articles] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[Article_ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

Hope these details will help you understand where its all going wrong.

Thnaks in advance

• so... no answers at all to our questions? 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I had a look at the Execution plan you posted.

It looks pretty straight forward.

If 50% of the time it takes is sorting 2 (two) rows in a table variable I I don't think the overall performance would be an issue.

The dynamic SQL you build might be a different story though...

Please post the result of SELECT @SQL from your first post together with the actual execution plan when running that query.

That might give us another hint or two.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• agree this plan is not your problem.. if you captured a trace or set statistics time on you would see that this is very fast

• Deepathy,

The link to "How to post performance problems" is great. In looking at everything you've posted there are two things I don't know, 1) How long the batch takes to run and 2) what are your expectations.

A posting like this is like going to the doctor's office and saying, "Doctor, fix me." Well, of course he can't fix you if he doesn't know what's wrong. Where do you hurt? When did it start? How often does the pain last?.....etc.

Performance, like pain is subjective. What's fast for you may be slow for me.

So, here's what I'd do if I were you. I would take each step of that batch process and cut it up into little pieces. Run each piece individually. Find your bottleneck and focus on that. If that's not possible, throw in some debugging statements, along with some timing calculations. I'm all for execution plans and what not, but end customers don't care about execution plans they care about the time something takes to run.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply