SQL not starting

• my SQL 2K services are not starting. I am a complete novice and I need to get my database up .. please help.

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank." ~Leaf

• Are they set to Automatically start? Or do you have to manually start them? (Right click on My Computer, select Manage, look for Services, find the MSSQLSERVER Service and the SQLSERVERAGENT service. Right click on them and see how they are set to start.)

What account are the services set to run as?

-SQLBill

• they are set for automatic. I tried to reboot and they wont start I also tried to start them manually and that doesn't work. What do you mean by "What account are the services set to run as?"

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank." ~Leaf

• SQLBill is talking about the logon user of the service that you can see in the properties of the mssqlserver service.

Does the eventlogs show an error?

And the sqlserver error log? You can find the last in the sqlserver mssql\log directory, probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG

• Check the startup account has enough privileges or change the account with known id. If it doesn’t work try to start with the single user mode from the command prompt

Shas3

• Login as Administrator and then try starting the services or if the Services are set to auto start then check what happens. This happens when the Authentication is mixed i suppose, not sure.

• Try starting the server from the command line. This will often give you errors that you don't see otherwise.

To give an example, I was creating a test server for one of our vendor applications. I received third hand instructions from the vendor who said that the application and the master databases *had* to be restored tothe new server. When I installed SQL Server on the new machine I placed it in a non-standard directory to adhere to our company standard. After restoring the master the MSSQL service would not start and I couldn't find any useful errors anywhere in EM or the Event Log. However, when I tried to start SQL Server from the command line it showed that the service couldn't start because the path to the physical file locations for the MSDB and Model databases were incorrect.

In the end I did exactly what I would have done without the input of the vendor. Restored the application database and transfered the stored procs, UDFs, logins and sids to the new server.

"I met Larry Niven at ConClave 27...AND I fixed his computer. How cool is that?"
    (Memoirs of a geek)

• Also, check the SQL Server Error logs (In Enterprise Manager drill down to Management, expand that, expand SQL Server Logs and double click on the most recent one).

And also check the Windows Event Logs.

Since this is a problem with a service, you should see errors in both of those places.

-SQLBill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply