SQL Newbie - Best Practice Database Creation

• Hi,

Could someone please help. We have no DBA resource, no budget for training, and in series need to create a number of MS SQL 2005 databases for various systems.

We have created databases in the past, but always chose the default entires for setup. This is obviously not the thing to do, but I am stuggling to find any help on what the best practices are for SQL database creation. Such things as file sizes, autogrowth settings (both database & log), naming, recovery models etc.

I know a lot of this is dependant on what the database is for, however, has anyone got any links for nuggets of information that can help guide us or help us make a more informed decision.

Your help would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards

Paul

• There is no one simple answer to your question but you are in the right place. Search these forums and the articles on this site for a ton of good info.

Also read Microsoft SQL Server Books On Line (BOL)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb671432.aspx

Also Google your questions. It will take some research but it will pay off in the long run with the knowledge and experience you gain.

• Many Thanks for your help

Much appreciated

• Just two simple thing:

Change the initial database/logfile sizes and change the stupid default database configuration to grow files by 1 MB!!

I will never get tired of tellin this...

Greets

Flo

• Florian Reischl (5/11/2009)

Just two simple thing:

Change the initial database/logfile sizes and change the stupid default database configuration to grow files by 1 MB!!

I will never get tired of tellin this...

Greets

Flo

Sorry, Flo, but I disagree with the 1 MB growth. It all comes down to how quickly you estimate your MDF and LDF file size expect to grow. Once you got a fair grasp of that you can readjust your parameters. 1 Meg may be OK to start off with, but you have to re-assess that periodically. But yes, I agree with the statement that the default options (grow by 10% from 1 Meg) are quite idiotic. One Tearbyte plus ten percent may take quite a while to initialize...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Hi Jan

IMHO 1 MB growth is almost never suggestive. I didn't say that it should always be initialized with gigabytes or even terabytes. This depends on the business case.

I think every tiny developer database can quickly grow to some hundred megabytes. A 1MB growth causes many wrong test results because the database is extending and extending.

Just a little adjustment to grow in 50MB steps should be okay for small databases.

Greets

Flo

• Flo,

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. Thought you suggested to grow your DB by one Meg at a time... And what's a "Tearbyte" anyhow 😛

If now I could only get rid of that non-working signature below... :w00t:

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• It IS gone...

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/12/2009)

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. Thought you suggested to grow your DB by one Meg at a time...

One dollar for every time I misunderstood somebody 🙂

And what's a "Tearbyte" anyhow 😛

No idea. You brought up this unit. Maybe a cryin' terabyte? 😛

Greets

Flo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply