SQL login passwords that don't meet complexity requirements

• I don't work for Idera. That said, three or four times a year I run the Idera Password Checker (part of SQL Admin Toolset) against all my SQL servers (individual server or various groupings). Most useful is the simple check that (1) password is not blank, (2) password is not equal to the login name. It also checks, selectable, against (1) top 10 common passwords, (2) top 50 common, (3) top 800, and (4) top 2400 common passwords. You may also type a password to test for (like the SA password I have in my install .INI, have I changed it yet?). If that's not enough, you can add a textfile of dictionary words - I use one I found somewhere called "dict.txt" that has around 30,000 words. Very flexible and accurate, and as quick and/or thorough as needed at the time.

Mike Hinds Lead Database Administrator1st Source BankMCP, MCTS

• Mike Hinds (10/9/2014)

I don't work for Idera. That said, three or four times a year I run the Idera Password Checker (part of SQL Admin Toolset) against all my SQL servers (individual server or various groupings). Most useful is the simple check that (1) password is not blank, (2) password is not equal to the login name. It also checks, selectable, against (1) top 10 common passwords, (2) top 50 common, (3) top 800, and (4) top 2400 common passwords. You may also type a password to test for (like the SA password I have in my install .INI, have I changed it yet?). If that's not enough, you can add a textfile of dictionary words - I use one I found somewhere called "dict.txt" that has around 30,000 words. Very flexible and accurate, and as quick and/or thorough as needed at the time.

That's exactly what I'm doing via script - fairly simple. Too bad that it will only catch a small percentage of noncomplex passwords in my environment. Appreciate all the feedback.

• Ok, my post just got eaten, and I'm out of time, so here's the short short short version:

First, is_policy_checked is meaningless except during the actual password change operation:

select name, is_policy_checked, is_expiration_checked from sys.sql_logins WHERE name = 'BADPASSWORD'

CREATE LOGIN [BADPASSWORD] WITH PASSWORD=N'885156813628709984402815015035931220186779279307997290920662644571022333688334453021757399361889039671598119775301307279966458', DEFAULT_DATABASE=[tempdb], CHECK_EXPIRATION=OFF, CHECK_POLICY=OFF

select name, is_policy_checked, is_expiration_checked from sys.sql_logins WHERE name = 'BADPASSWORD'

ALTER LOGIN [BADPASSWORD] WITH CHECK_POLICY=ON

ALTER LOGIN [BADPASSWORD] WITH CHECK_EXPIRATION=ON

DROP LOGIN [BADPASSWORD]

Second, I can think of four basic ways to do try and make sure SQL login passwords meet policy:

1) Force everyone to change their passwords

1a) Make sure policy checking is enabled at the time of the change

2) Have a trusted party collect and test all passwords for all logins, forcing changes for weak ones

2a) storing them in a safe place - strong encrypted .xlsx (NOT .xls), KeePass, etc.

3) Run an audit with a real tool like oclHashcat[/url] and a modern video card, to brute force the weakest segments - 8 character passwords with only lower and numbers, upper and symbols, etc.

4) Run an audit with a very poor tool like the T-SQL in What is the default sa password?/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply