SQL.LOG

• I have inherited a sql 2000 server with a file in the root of c:\ called sql.log. It is presently 8.5GB and growing every minute. I've tried to delete it but it won't allow me. I've shut down the sql server service and agent but i still get an error saying it is in use and can't be deleted. Any ideas?

• Do you have a service running called Performance Data log. This is the service version of performance monitor (and can be very useful). I installed it on my workstation many years ago and it created a large (but not that size!) log file after a couple of years of forgetting about it. Worth a try. I disabled and deleted the file. I would check MS KB before doing this though as it did not bother me if I had problems with my own WS but it would on a production server !!!

• Sounds like a good place to start. Only other thing I can suggest is check to see if you have multiple instances of SQL running. Log is not a standard extension, but nothing to stop a user from using it for a data or log file.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Actually this sounds more like the ODBC tracing file. To disable or verify it, open the ODBC control panel, click "Tracing" tab.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply