SQL Jobs are not running on schedule

• SQL Agent is running, along with all SQL services. I've stopped and restarted them.

My job schedules still are not firing. These jobs have been running fine, and on schedule for years, and a few days ago they just stopped.

Can anyone give me ideas of what else to look for in this situation? I'm perplexed.

Thank you.

Joel

• You should certainly check error logs, as well as job logs, and just to be sure, check that the date hasn't been accidentally changed on the server...

• Did you check if the job is enabled ?

• sgmunson (12/5/2012)

You should certainly check error logs, as well as job logs, and just to be sure, check that the date hasn't been accidentally changed on the server...

On Friday evening our IT department added a new Host to our VMware Server Cluster. Unfortunately the NTP Settings for that host were not set right. So this weekend the load balancing process moved the SQL VM over to the new host, and therefore changed the time and date settings on that server. IT has since fixed the NTP settings and the time and date are now right, but I wonder if that lapse in time messed up your scheduled jobs.

P.S. Yes, the jobs are enabled, as are the schedules.

• yes, that would have caused the job not to run..

I have also seen if the previous day job is running for more than 24 hrs then it will skip or in some cases someone would have manually disabled the job..

• hughesj23 (12/5/2012)

SQL Agent is running, along with all SQL services. I've stopped and restarted them.

My job schedules still are not firing. These jobs have been running fine, and on schedule for years, and a few days ago they just stopped.

Can anyone give me ideas of what else to look for in this situation? I'm perplexed.

Thank you.

Joel

This actually happened to me just last week, though I'd be surprised if the cause of yours was the same as mine. For me I had a script running that queried msdb.dbo.sysjobs on a number of linked database servers to pull the SQL Job history of each server into a single table I could report from. Worked like a champ until one of the server links borked and created a wait on the process that basically hung the job, and killing the job hung the process at a perpetual rollback. This created a lock on msdb.dbo.sysjobs which disallowed anything from reading the table so SQL Server Agent, though running, was useless. Rebooting the server did the trick.

Needless to say I'm rewriting this process to use SSIS instead of linked servers so this doesn't occur again. So with this, check for table locks in your msdb database. Like I said I'd be surprised if this was what's happening to you, but ya never know.

Edit: just saw your post about NTP, so yeah that'll do it too 😀

• I deleted all of my schedules within each of my jobs and recreated them. That fixed it. It was a pain in the rump, but it did fix it.

Thanks all.

• This is a classic issue with the SQL Agent scheduler.

If a job does not fire due a time issue on the server, it will not run again unless you run it once manually or you reset start time of the schedule.

This is because the next run time is set when current run fires.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply