SQL Job not executing but DTS Package executes

• I have some DTS Jobs that have been running since December 2003. They run with the Domain Sqlagent Account. Now all of a sudden on Tuesday (06/29) they are not running. I am able to directly run the DTS Packages (within EM) but not as a Job. I receive the following message when the Job attempts to run:

Executed as user: XXX_DOM\sqlagent. ServerName\FixedInc\fidata\ftp\lehman\ftp' ' is an invalid current directory path. UNC paths are not supported. C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT>ftp -d -s:\\ServerName\FixedInc\fidata\ftp\Lehman\Batch_Files\SIGN.ftp pcdial.lehman.comConnected to pcdial2.lehman.com.220-Connected to pcdial2.lehman.com. 220 FTP server ready. User (pcdial2.lehman.comnone)): ---> USER UserName Password required for UserName. ---> PASS password User UserName logged in. Access restrictions apply. ftp> ftp> ---> get SIGN.agg.q.20040629 PORT 10,3,1,9,7,56200 PORT command successful ---> RETR SIGN.agg.q.20040629150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for SIGN.agg.q.20040629 (9 bytes)226 Transfer complete. ftp: 10 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 10000.00Kbytes/sec. ftp> ---> get SIGN.tstrips.q.20040629 PORT 10,3,1,9,7,57200 PORT command successful ---> RETR SIGN.tstrips.q.20040629150 Opening ASCII mode data connection ... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

Can you give me some things to check out? It appears the Job is having problems accessing the file server (which contains the batch files which the DTS Package executes.) The network group assures me that no changes have been made to the servers, network or sqlagent account.

• Did you test the package on the machine the job is executing it from?

• Try the following and see if it works...

1. Rather than using server name in the path, try creating a drive mapping to the file location. Server path does NOT work sometimes!!.

2. Run 'dcomcnfg' and check the account information that sql server agent is running under and see if the server has permissions to access the SA account. 3. If running under sql server SA account, then try choosing 'Everyone'.

Hope this helps!!

• I know this thread is quite old, but we are having similar problems with batch files, SQL server shows that they are executed successfully but the execution does not occur. What I picked up on was Kailash sahu's comment that Server path does not work sometimes. Is this a well known problem as our issue seems to be very intermittent and difficult to reproduce?

Have you any idea what may be the issue of our problem? Or can you point me to further reading on this issue?

I'd be interested in a solution that does not need us to change all the server name references as this will be a huge pain for our release process. (we actually resolve server name from the hosts file).

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply