SQL Instance not taking min memory

• Hi,

I have an which complains about memory relates issues like PLE & Procedure Cache Hit Ratio. I'm looking into the memory and I've noticed that this particular SQL instance (on a shared Cluster) is only using about 1GB of RAM in the task Manager while the minimum is set to 16GB in the configuration of the SQL instance....We have are only about 30% in over all memory utilisation and have plenty of space for the 16GB and then some.

Am I being really dumb in how I am in interpreting this information? Other instance on the cluster seem to be fine, in that they are consuming about what I would expect....

Any information would be great.

• Don't use task manager to check SQL Server's memory. It lies (and I've posted this soooo many times recently)

Use perfmon, use the target and total server memory counters.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Run this to get a breakdown of how much memory is allocated to each memory cache,. The page buffer cache is CACHESTORE_OBJCP and query plan cache is CACHESTORE_SQLCP.

Select [type],SUM([single_pages_kb]) As [single_pages_kb]

,SUM([multi_pages_kb]) As [multi_pages_kb]

from sys.dm_os_memory_cache_counters

Group By [type]

Order By SUM([single_pages_kb])+ SUM([multi_pages_kb]) desc;

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply