SQL Express Database

• Dear All:

I work for a school and I look after SQL 2005 standard server. We also have a library software that runs on an SQL 2005 Express server. I was thinking to move the library database to the SQL 2005 standard server in order to automate the backup task.

Is that possible? And if not is there any way to automate regular backups using SQL studio Express?

Your feedback is much appreciated

• You can move your database from express edition to standard edition. You need to backup your database and restore it on the target server OR you can detach the database from the express edition server and attach it to the standard edition server.

I dont think without sql server agent, you'll be able to automate the backups as you wont be able to create any jobs however i guess there are some third party tools that let you do that... eg. We use data protector tool to take backup.

Pradeep Singh

• yes - there is a simple way to do that 😉

1) create a script to backup your database

2) learn how to use osql to fire it

3) use task scheduler to run osql with your backup script 😉

• I'd recommend moving the Express DB to the Standard edition server. You not only want to be able to schedule backups, but other maintenance tasks as well like DBCC CheckDB and index maintenance as well. I'm sure you'll need to work with the vendor to make sure the application continues to work as well.

• I would agree with Jack, you have no disadvantages with moving it to standard and you can make it more robust and easier to manage going forward, especially if you need to do anything more advanced with the database or application later on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I too agree with Jack, SQL Express is basically the same as SQL Standard, except Express is crippled. If you have it available there really are no downsides..

CEWII

• If you can't migrate the express installation over to Standard for some reason you can use the following to backup express. http://www.codeplex.com/ExpressMaint

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply