SQL Enterprise Manager Closes Unexpectedly

• SQL enterprise manager closes everytime I try and view the properties of ANY database. I can do everything else in SEM except fi I try and right click on the database and choose 'Properties' or if I try and view the properties from the task view SEM closes. This is the same for ALL 3 of my sql servers and they were all in the past upgraded from 7 to 2000; now running sql2k sp4. I believe this problem began after the upgrade.

Any ideas?

• Is there anything in the event log of the server or the error log of the SQL Server that might give a clue?  Can you check the properties of the databases on these SQL Servers from a copy of EM on another box which hasn't been upgraded?

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• What if you tried using

exec sp_dboption 'dbname' in Query Analyzer ??

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• And I also do not have any more sql servers that are prior 2000

• There is nothing in the windows or sql error logs to indicate a problem.

When I run sp_dboption I have auto create statistics and auto update stats.

• If you want to change the properties at least you can do so using t-sql via Query Analyzer - & view them using sp_dboption.

I guess what I'm trying to say is till someone figures out why EM closes everytime you do this at least you can view/edit/add properties using QA!

• Right, thanks for your time!

• You might try running profiler to see what SQL the server is trying to run when EM closes.  Are you running the EM from your desktop or from the server?  If you're running it from a desktop, did you apply sp4 to the desktop tools?

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• This is the last line BEFORE EM closes:

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(N'DATABASENAME', N'RECOVERY')

Currently I am running EM from server

• Maybe therein lies the key to the solution - the fact that it's running a function "databasepropertyex" on something that still recognizes only the old (sql 7.0) function "databaseproperty"....?!?!

• What would you get if you ran:

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(N'DBName', N'RECOVERY')

and

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY(N'DBName', N'RECOVERY')

in Query Analyzer ?

• >>SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(N'DBName', N'RECOVERY')

Result = FULL

>>SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY(N'DBName', N'RECOVERY')

Result = NULL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply