SQL Database naming

• I'm creating a new database for an application that I wish to sell in the future. When we sell it the client will have the option to host is or have us host it. I want to create a name for the database that doesn't describe what the product is. I also want to be able to create new databases if we host it and those names be of a similar convention or subject. I was thinking each would be a Greek god, galaxy names or something along those lines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

• If the names aren't supposed to mean anything to do with the database, I think you're on the right track... of course, you could also name them DB0001, DB0002,... etc.  That way you'll never anger the gods

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Better name the database so that its meaningful else there will be n numbers of confusions around after few years.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Another problem with naming the databases after Greek Gods or planets is that you have to maintain a list (whether mentally or physically) of which servers goes with what company. 

You don't have to explicitly list the product's or company's name in the database name but you might want to think about listing a few identifying characters of each in the database name.  Then, you just have to remember the rule that you use to create the database name.  

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• I agree in that you need to name the database in a way that you can track. In the past I've seen companies name the database a series of initials (i.e., if your company name is "Pots and Pans", then "PP") and the client ID number. So if your client's ID is 00564 then the database name would be PP00564. Not only does this provide a unique database name (although your installation script should check sysdatabases / sys.databases to make sure), but the database name can also be used for identification in the event your client has to FTP files to a server (or other activity that would require identification). Hope this helps.

• Two thoughts:

1. If you are licensing your product, then use a component in the license number as the database name.

2. Can you parameterize the name so that it's under user control if they host, and under your control if you host? Also, will you build client identification into the database so that you can keep a current record of whose DB is whose?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply