SQl Counters Missing in Performance Monitor

• Hi All,

I have a SQL Server 2000 on WIndows 2000 machine. When I go in Perfromance Monitor, I do not see the SQL Server counters existing on my machine.

How can I get my SQL Counters in Performance Monitor. ?

Thanks,

Kishore

• There is a known bug where the SQL Server perf counters are missing if Perfmon is running while SQL Server is restarted. Stop Perfmon and restart SQL Server, then start Perfmon again and the counters will be there.

• The Bug Mentioned by Chris is fixed in Hotfix of SQL Build 780 and is documented in KB artile http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812915 .  If your SQL Server build is above 780, the issue is probably something different other wise consider applying SQL Server Security Patch MS03-031 or SP4 (Both these upgrades include this hot fix).

You may also try running the following commands from command prompt to reload the Perf counters.

unlodctr.exe MSSQLServer

lodctr.exe SQLCTR.INI  (give full path of these files on your machine)

Restart the machine

Hope this helps

M.S. Reddy

• There is another potential cause, and it is the one that I suffered from last year.  Basically its a permissions issue.  Can't remember the exact details, but it was my problem.  Basically I was running sql server under a user account, and the counters did not have permissions on it.  I seem to recall the Performance Logs and Alerts service defaults to Network Service logon.

By switching it to the local system  logon this seemed to fix the lack of counters.

Anyone got input to the security ramifications of that choice?

• Solution mentioned by Chris did not work for me. Is shall try out the other solutions and let you know. Thanks for the replies.

--Kishore

• Wondering if you managed to resolve your issue?

• I have this same issue and have not found any way to fix it so far.  My counters come back after reboot and then disappear after 12 hours.  I believe it is some kind of interaction between the medical software application that uses SQL on that machine.

• Check the logon for the performance counter service.

•  In a response to this problem a hotfix build 780 is mentioned as a workaround to address the missing performance monitor stats.  I have look on microsoft for the build 780 and even the kb artible but am unable to locate the hotfix. does anyone have any ideas of exactly where to go to get the hotfix 780

• Hi.  I encountered the issue a couple of times doing performance testing against SQL Server.  Microsoft's explanation is that one or more of the related 'performance extension DLLs is disabled'.  To enable the related 'performance extension DLL' one can use the Microsoft W200x Resource Kit or modify the registry.

Within the Microsoft W200x Resource Kit, one needs to use the 'ExCtrlList utility', which is quite easy.  However obtaining the Resource Kit is initially required (downloading &/or purchasing - ?).

In any case, a full explanation of missing Performance Counters is documented in Microsoft's support knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;248993

Regards,

Roy Sternweiler

• hi kishore

1st check in ur application log is there any error

there will be a column source in that u will get perflib with error

2nd

go the C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 and double click on Perfmon.exe

then check it out u will get the counters.....

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply