SQL clusters over a WAN Link

• im not sure that this is a viable solution unless there are very specific circumstances which i cannot think of at the moment!!

setting the cluster, heartbeats and SAN is all do-able but it would cost a fortune for the network architecture needed to give response times necessary for the cluster to operate and be able to fail over quickly....however im not sure what the user experience would be like....not to mention app/web/file server locations and continuity

if you need to have users in 2 locations with no difference in response time then depending on how recent the data needs to be compared to live there are a number of solutions which can give down to 5-10mins latency on live data

for a cluster the users in the passive node location will have to deal with network latency for all queries and results....not to mention they will need a seperate or at least truncated bandwidth portion of the existing dedicated line to ensure SAN and heartbeat traffic is unaffected....unless its an active/active cluster

may as well create a local cluster and provide a single dedicated line to host VPN for any remote access....remote location can hold a logshipped/mirrored/replication server to provide local access if required as this uses much less bandwidth

but all in all....if money is no object and you are feeling ambitious then it could be an interesting project 😛

• Hi,

You most certainly can put cluster nodes in different geographic locations. However when doing so, you should pay special attention to get rid of all the possible SPOF's. I've been involved in building a multi-site cluster, that one had two different SANs with hardware level mirroring between them and we had two dedicated network cables running into each site.

In my opinion, it's not so much about the distance than it's about the reliability of everything between the two sites. But with careful planning and lots of testing of all components included, you can build pretty impressive environments.

Mika Sutinen, Senior DBA
    @SQLFinn on Twitter
    Blogging at SQLStarters[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply