SQL Buffer manager: Page life expectancy

• malachyrafferty (3/16/2010)

yea document looks good, it should give me a clearer idea what im looking at

currently the cost threshold is set at 5 - i have no idea what that is doing

That's the default and it's extremely low, especially for OLTP systems. I'd suggest bumping it up to 25, just as a starting point, and see how things go from there.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ill try that and see how we get on

thanks grant for your help

• Follow this MS article to tune your system:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966540.aspx#EGAA

• MANY things could be at fault here: too little RAM, poor IO, missing indexes, bad data structures, bad code, out of date statistics, poor maintenance practices, etc,etc.

I HIGHLY recommend you get a performance tuning professional in for few days give your system a review and mentor you on how to take care of your system yourself.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• hi all

this is an old post, since this we have upgraded our server - which has 5gb more memory, put the dbs, tempdbs,logs etc all on there own disc subsystem and we are experiencing much better performance! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply