SQL Backup using third party tools

• Hi All,

I need feedback on using EMC Legato for taking SQL Server backup. Can somebody share the good / pain points around that please?

1. Does the Legato Full backup compatible with SQL transaction log backups and SQL differential backups? (means can i apply the transaction log backups over the full backup taken by legato during a restore process) ?

2. Does the Legato SQL backup support Backup checksum (SQL native backups supports backup checksum)?

3. is there any issues for DB transactions while legata backup in process - as it uses VSS it will do an IO freez for some time

4. Any good points of using Legato backup for SQL

subban

• Subhash-63067 (1/12/2010)

Hi All,

I need feedback on using EMC Legato for taking SQL Server backup. Can somebody share the good / pain points around that please?

1. Does the Legato Full backup compatible with SQL transaction log backups and SQL differential backups? (means can i apply the transaction log backups over the full backup taken by legato during a restore process) ?

2. Does the Legato SQL backup support Backup checksum (SQL native backups supports backup checksum)?

3. is there any issues for DB transactions while legata backup in process - as it uses VSS it will do an IO freez for some time

We use Legato Networker, not sure if that is the same as what you use. We are looking to change away from that.

We backup to disk first and then let Networker backup the SQL backups. Thus in our scenario, we do not see an issue with the checksum (SQL Backup handles it), and VSS is not an issue for us either.

4. Any good points of using Legato backup for SQL

I don't like the Networker Module. However, EMC does have a different backup solution - Avamar. You might want to check that. I know another business that uses Avamar. They use the same sort of backup scenario that we employ.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Just to add to Jason's post, we use Legato to backup our SQL Backups (Redgate Backups to disk) and we mirror log backups to another server but also backup the T/LOg backups to tape using LEGATO.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply