SQL and OS when RAID 1 needs to be expanded.....

• We have a critical server on a DELL PE 2950 running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 64-bit SP-2. We have two RAID1s on this server, C: (OS & SQL 2005 Enterprise 64-bit) & D: (system files) drives are on RAID1 using 36GB drives , and SQL logs are on the E: drive RAID1 using two 146 GB drives. We also have a DELL MD-1000 storage unit attached to this server with two additional storage RAIDS: RAID5 with six 76GB drives as the F: drive (SQL database store) and a four drive RAID1+0 as the SQL backups on the G: drive using 146 GB drives. One additional 146 GB drive is a hot spare in the MD-1000.

The problem: The C: drive is running out of space. C: and D: share the storage on the 36GB RAID1 at 16.5 GB each. C: is currently at 14.8 GB and D: is at 9 GB. An additional hitch - the End Of Life on this server is three years out, so I need to be able to keep the server going. A check with DELL gave me a solution: two new 146GB drives to replace the RAID1 for the OS/SQL. This solution however, has me concerned about the steps needed to make this drive swap / RAID reallocation actually work.

Fortunately, I have enough room on the G: drive to do a full backup of both the C: drive and the D: drive so I can “park” my backups there, along with my System State backup file.

DELL advises against the use of third party software to reallocate the RAID and recommends only a full backup of both C: and D: drives, System State backup; then reinstall the OS and delete the old RAID1 for the C:/D: drives and rebuild the RAID1 to use all of the 146GB drives. Then finish restoring SQL and the new C:/D: RAID1 from the backups.

Several dumb questions: First, I don’t know about RAID controllers, but if I delete and rebuild the OS on the C: drive, won’t that ALSO destroy the RAID configurations for the E:, F:, and G: drives? I really do not want to have to rebuild EVERYTHING for this server. If deleting the restoring the OS allows the RAID configurations for the E: F: and G: drives to remain, that would be wonderful.

Secondly, does the System State backup include all the OS patches from the past 3 years, or will I have to rebuild all the patches as well?

But which do I do first:

The Server OS reinstall and SP2....THEN the System state backup....then do the RAID 1 delete/rebuild for the C: and D: drive...then do the remainder of the C: drive backup, including SQL...then finish the D: drive restore?

Or do I restore the OS and SP2, then delete / rebuild the C:/ D: RAID1, THEN do the full C: and D: drive restores.....then do the System State restore to get back to my starting point?

• nelsonj-902869 (8/24/2010)

DELL advises against the use of third party software to reallocate the RAID and recommends only a full backup of both C: and D: drives, System State backup; then reinstall the OS and delete the old RAID1 for the C:/D: drives and rebuild the RAID1 to use all of the 146GB drives. Then finish restoring SQL and the new C:/D: RAID1 from the backups.

I would test this and try to make this work if possible rather than delete and reinstall

Depends.

Secondly, does the System State backup include all the OS patches from the past 3 years, or will I have to rebuild all the patches as well?

Typically. Your system state should include the OS and the registry at that point in time.

I would lean toward the tool to expand your raid. If you have a full backup of the system, the worst case scenario is you have to rebuild from backup. If you must go that route.

An alternative solution, since you are getting the new drives anyway, is to use them as an additional array and offload SQL onto those drives - or onto other drives in your server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason....

Thanks for the reply. Have you used any of the third party tools to do a RAID reallocation where the OS drive is involved? ...that uses 64-bit architecture? I can see reallocating partitions and/or disk space from drive to drive, but none of the tools I've looked at specifically state they work on 64-bit systems and will reallocate RAID space without corrupting data. If I corrupt the OS, what good is it?

They all have the standard disclaimer about making backups, etc. etc. so why waste the time with a third party tool? :w00t:

Any comment about the sequence of steps to do this process the way DELL suggests? I still have not received any additional feedback on the entire process from DELL.

• Not when 64 Bit was involved. Tools have changed since I last did this, but they were reliable and we did it on Dell servers.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply