SQL Alert from MOM

• Hi There,

I keep on receiving the same sorta SQL alert for a particular database, the only thing that differs with each alert is the table name. I've set both the data and log files to increase automatically. I've checked hard disk space on theSQL server and thats clearly not an issue. What else can i do to make sure that the filegroup has enough space ?

Could not allocate space for object in database because the filegroup is full. Error: 1105, Severity: 17, State: 2 Could not allocate space for object 'SC_ProcessRuleMembershipFact_Table' in database 'SystemCenterReporting' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.

Thanks,

Sonia

• hi

have u opted for restricted growth for the files in the filegroup.

"Keep Trying"

• Yes i've checked the automatically grow option and restricted the file growth to 1000MB (1GB) for both the data and log files and that didn't seem to help.

I've changed the allocated size for the tempdb data and log files to 1000MB (1GB) as well, hopefully this works cuz previously it was set to 1MB and 9MB

• Check your grooming. By default MOM will keep 366 days of information. At our site, 150+ servers the SystemCenterReporting database data portion grew to 500 Gb used with just default monitoring. Also, MOM really does not like autogrow at all. Nor does it like full recovery. CHeck out the MOM user groups to pare down the history from 366 days to something more reasonable line 90 or 180.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Rudy,

I'm receiving the alerts for the exact same database. I've spoken to the LAN guys and they need to keep all the info that is generated by mom regardless of whether its 90 days or 999 days - bizarre i know but thats their request.

How else do i get around this problem ?

Thanks,

Sonia

• There is no solution. If you have to keep the data in your database then you have to have the disk space for it. If the network guys have such a great 'business need' for all of that information then they should have no problem justifying an additional disk purchase for you - possibly a terrabyte or two ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks will let them know

• Oh ... I forgot a few things that the 'network guys' will also need to support your 'terrabyte' disk purchase.

• A newer, faster server to process this large amount of information. You'll need it for DBCCs, index maintenance, queries and reporting.
    • An upgrade to your tape backup system and possibly the software.
    • Most importantly don't forget to order more tapes too !

And probably a couple of the most important aspects of it all:

• Money budgeted for a VLDB consultant to assist with potential size related performance issues.
    • Money budgeted for a SAN - I'd go EMC for the big bucks, Hitachi for about 30-40% less than EMC or DELL  if you really want to go bargain basement.

Maybe the 'network guys' could even get into a Premier Suport agreement with MS. After all of this they may end up with one of the largest MOM data repositories around !!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply