Sql Agent service

• I have 4 instances on my system. All services are running in all 3 instances but Sql Server Agent service is not starting on one of my named instance but for remaining 3 instances it is working fine. It is showing only start and properties option but there is no stop and restart option. When I try to start the sql agent service from configuration manager it is showing the below error message

request failed or service didn't start in timely fashion.

My version is sqlserver2008r2.

I tried through cmd command

net start "SQL Server Agent(instancename)"

but it is not working

Thanks

• Sounds like it could be permissions based. Are you a sysadmin on the SQL server?

Either way;check the sql log files and/or event logs for the reason that the service did not start. That should give you the clues to resolve

SQL DBA
    Every day is a school day, and don't trust anyone who tells you any different.
    http://sqlblogness.blogspot.co.uk

• Actually I solved the problem. Initially some how error log was missed, at that time I couldn't able to connect to the Sql server. Then I created new Log and gave sharing permissions. Then the Sql server started working but Sql Agent is not connecting it missing the file SqlAgent.Out all the Sql agent error logs missing. So I gave \ErrorLog in the Log folder then it started working fine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply