Sql 2012 service pack 3 fails to install

• Hallo.

Hope you can help. Im trying to install Sql 2012 Service Pack 3 on one of my servers, but it keeps failing. Tried via WU and manual install on the administrator account but no luck.

When i look in the summary log:

Exit error code: 1 Exit message: The required MSI package 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache\KB3045321\GDR\redist\VisualStudioShell\VC10SP1\vc_red.msi' doesn't exist.

and sure enough that files does not exist in that dir. Do i have to download it or ? and where ?

• The gold nugget in that error message is the \KB3045321\ in the path. 'KB' and a bunch of numbers means 'Knowledge Base article ######'.

1. Go search on Microsoft.com for "KB3045321". The top hit will be to a page from which you can download SQLServer2012-KB3045321-x64.exe (or -x86.exe).
    2. Download the version you need.
    3. Open that file with a compression tool like 7-zip and extract the redist folder to your local C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache\KB3045321\GDR folder (create if necessary)
    4. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache\KB3045321\GDR\redist\VisualStudioShell\VC10SP1. Note there are two folders in there: \x64 and \x86.
    5. Copy the contents of the folder matching your OS up one level (to the same folder as \x64 and \x86).
    6. Retry the SP install; repeat above steps for any further missing files

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply