sql 2012 licensing confusion

• I have a physical server that i inherited.

It has 2 sockets with 8 cores per socket for a total of 16 cores.

We have SQL 2012 Standard Edition installed.

When I look at msdn licensing matrix it states that Standard Edition limits out at 4 sockets or 16 cores which ever is the lesser.

By all appearances, I'm in good shape, we paid for 8 2-core packs and that should take care of any licensing questions, except that

we are using hyper-threading.

When I observe performance using Resource manager it shows that we have 32 CPU.

When I look at the sql error log it states the following:

SQL Server detected 2 sockets with 8 cores per socket and 16 logical processors per socket<c/> 32 total logical processors; using 32 logical processors based on SQL Server licensing.

So, my confusion is how can sql server claim to be using 32 logical processors when standard edition should max out at 16??

Can anyone help clear up the confusion?

Thank you so much,

Daniel

• Hyperthreading does not count toward the count of cores.

• Lynn Pettis (4/10/2014)

Hyperthreading does not count toward the count of cores.

Lynn,

ya, i've seen that, but it doesn't help me understand how the sql log tells me it is using 32 processors when the max for standard edition is only 16.

• daniel.miller 82924 (4/10/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/10/2014)

Hyperthreading does not count toward the count of cores.

Lynn,

ya, i've seen that, but it doesn't help me understand how the sql log tells me it is using 32 processors when the max for standard edition is only 16.

Because hyperthreading does get counted as a core, it just doesn't count has cores for licensing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply