sql 2008 r2 installation failed

• have installed & uninstalled sql server 2008 7 times but same thing repeats

if i select Management tools i get the error message Previous version of vsiual studio 2008 failed

if i dont select the Management tools option Sql get installed sucesfully but without ssms.exe

i even tried regedit with SPINDEX & SP values but still same

i tried everything available online but the issue persists

my system has visual studio 2008 already installed

• ssurekha2000 (11/22/2011)

have installed & uninstalled sql server 2008 7 times but same thing repeats

if i select Management tools i get the error message Previous version of vsiual studio 2008 failed

if i dont select the Management tools option Sql get installed sucesfully but without ssms.exe

i even tried regedit with SPINDEX & SP values but still same

i tried everything available online but the issue persists

my system has visual studio 2008 already installed

First Suggestion, don't try many Install / Uninstall...

Second, avoid touching Registry. You could have crash your system...

I am not sure if you ignore any of the warnings in Installations, Please don't ignore any. Clean the Installation root and try again.

One more suggestion. Install SQL Server 2008 first then Visual Studio 2008... Try it only if you are unsuccessful on above recommendations.

• What SQL 2008 version is it? R2? If so, on which Windows version are you installing it on?

• if you already have Visual Studio 2008 on a machine and then decide to put SQL2008 as well, you need to ensure that Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 at a minimum is applied before hand

SSMS2008 was developed in VS2008SP1 so will not work without it

I used to get this with our development teams as, they would be given a laptop with the OS, they would then install VS, we would then install the database tools and not one of them remembered to install VS2008SP1 even though we kept telling them to

• insatlled on windows 7 home edition

& r2 version

but visual studio 2008 is already installed on the system

so i need to remove it

• ssurekha2000 (11/22/2011)

but visual studio 2008 is already installed on the system

so i need to remove it

No, find service pack 1 for Visual Studio 2008 and install that, then install SQL

• i tried installing sp1 which i downloaded from net

but thats aslo not egtting insatlled & giving me some errors in insatllation

so stcuk up

• the only other option then is to remove visual studio and install SQL

but if you need visual studio your going to have to get SP1 installed before you can install SQL

• This happens when we have latest version of BIDS on the comp.

>> Uninstall SQL Server one you installed

>> Uninstall VS 2008

>>Reboot Comp

>>Install SQL Server 2008R2

>>Install VS 2008 , make sure u uncheck sql server free edition while installing VS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply