sql 2008 mirroring

• Hi there to everyone, I've implemented mirroring with witness server in our SQl 2008 server. Now the problem to me is that I need to run the Application server via Mirror Server(which will become the Principal Server after automatic failover). I'm searching for it, yet no luck has struck in favor of me. Hope you guys can surely help me. Your help shall be appreciated!

• I don't understand this request. Perhaps you could list out all servers involved in a normal state and then in a post-failover state, each with whatever (if anything) is running on them.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• praveen.singh (8/31/2011)

Hi there to everyone, I've implemented mirroring with witness server in our SQl 2008 server. Now the problem to me is that I need to run the Application server via Mirror Server(which will become the Principal Server after automatic failover). I'm searching for it, yet no luck has struck in favor of me. Hope you guys can surely help me. Your help shall be appreciated!

I believe you are referring to the FailoverPartner option in the connection string. This is only supported if connecting via ADO.NET or SQL Native client

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Comprehensively, here's the description.

Pre-Failover State:

SQLPrincipal - Principal Server

SQLMirror - Mirror Server

Post-Failover State:

SQLPrincipal - Mirror Server

SQLMirror - Principal Server

Now, let me tell you that, our main MSSQLSERVER(from which Application Server runs) is maintained through Clustering(RAID 5+1) of two servers naming CBACK and CMAIN. So Application Server refers to a computer name. So I've problem in my mirror testing phase. If my Application is running via 'SQLPrincipal' and after fail-over how can I make it to run via 'SQLMirror' which will become the principal server.

Hope I've expressed myself well.

• Use the FailoverPartner option in the connection string if you are connecting via ADO.NET or native client. Otherwise you'll have to set up some form of failover detection and dynamically modify dns. This is normally a manual process, for full automation you should use the connection string failover ability.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• As Perry was trying to state:

dbmirroring doesn't "just" work for applications !

You need to modify the connection objects/strings of every application you want to take advantage of dbmirroring. (unlike clustering a complete instance)

This can only be done using the ADO.NET or sqlncli drivers.

- have a look at Connecting Clients to a Database Mirroring Session (SQL Server). It has all the needed topics. "Making the Initial Connection to a Database Mirroring Session" also shows the connection properties and details to think over and set up.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply