SQL 2008 Memory Consumption report

• Buffer Pages Distribution report is showing a very high number of Stolen pages however everything else on the server (including its performance) looks otherwise.

Dirty (38526) Free(744)

Latched(16) Stolen(611817)

If I'm not mistaken the actual counter behind it is "Stolen pages: Number of pages used for miscellaneous server purposes (stolen from the buffer pool) on this node." from SQL Server, Buffer Node Object - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345597(v=SQL.100).aspx

My question is - do I need to worry about anything on the actual SQL server as nothing leads me so far to believe there's memmory pressure on the box other than this counter. Page life is high, Target and Total are equal and equal to my max memory limit set on the box - specs below:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP2) - 10.0.4000.0 (X64) Sep 16 2010 19:43:16 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (2008) <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

AWE is not enabled and the box is a HP server with 8CPU and 65GB RAM

• It depends on the memory configuration of your instance. If it is not limited to 6-8GB memory, I would say that you should not worry. SQL Server can allocate approximately 8 million pages, and you have "only" less than 700000 stolen pages, that is below 10 percent stolen.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• That's what I thought as well - its' just the graphs and the report itself I found misleading. SQL Min memory is set to 0, Max is set to 60GB (as we have 65GB available) AWE is NOT enabled as we are on 64bit and Lock pages in memeory is enabled for SQL service account.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply