sql 2008 and DBCC Shrink !!!

• I was getting problem with Log shrinking in sql 2008 using DBCC shrinkfile (mylog,truncate_only) file wasnt getting shrink.so, i read in one Article , please confirm is this the only way !!!

In SQL Server 2008 the procedure is slightly different, the database must first be set to Simple recovery mode, then shrink the file, then restore FULL recovery mode:

ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase SET RECOVERY SIMPLE

go

DBCC SHRINKFILE(MyDatabase_log)

go

EXEC sp_helpdb MyDatabase

go

ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase SET RECOVERY FULL

go

• Sometimes that method works. However, make sure you perform a full backup before doing that. Also, i would do another full backup immediately after changing it back to full recovery.

As for the command you were using, truncate_only does not shrink the file. You should specify a size in lieu of the truncate_only option.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• so, it means i have to specify some size too

ok i will try your suggestion

• Have you tried taking a tlog backup before performing the SHRINKFILE command ?

• @ vultar

yes i did, after backup tlog get truncate but it didnt get shrink.

I just want to do this because we were running out of space on that machine...

• If you try to shrink the log through SSMS how much free space does it say is available ?

• Hi

U may use this syntax:

DBCC shrinkfile (mylog,200)

Where 200 may your desired MB.

But in my opinion shrinking file/s is not a solution, it effect the performance.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• @ Ali : Agreed, i dont do it as regular practice 🙂

but asking for times when there is no more space left in drive

so, this is the only solution left after db backup on USB drive.

i tried dbcc shrinkfile (mylog,100) before and it works

but i want to know about this one on SQL 2008

dbcc shrinkfile (mylog,tuncate_only) does it work or not !!!!

• Hi,

In SQL 2008 putting the database in Recovery Simple will truncate the log. It is the only way that truncates the log

After you put your DB in recovery simple doing

DBCC SHRINKFILE('MyLogLogicalFile',200) would shrink the log (200 means 200 Mb as Log file size)

Put after that your DB back in Recovery Full

I use this method to shrink log files and it works allways for me.

• In SQL2008 notruncate and truncateonly are not applicable to log files. So in fact what is happening is notruncate and truncateonly are ignored when it is a log file. This means that the command you are running is in fact reducing the log file as much as it is able to (i.e. to the last active virtual log file)

So, leaving apart the fact in normal circumstances you would not run shrinkfile, specify a size to shrink to when you run the shrinkfile, i.e. DBCC SHRINKFILE ( MYDB_log' ,25).

check where the last active VLF is using dbcc loginfo(dbname). A value of 2 in the status column means the VLF contains active transactions and the log will not shrink beyond that point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Apart from shrinking you need to set a standard size for the tlog based on observations over a period of time. Shrinking tlog frequently will cause performance degradation - will eventually cause hard disk fragmentation.

• george sibbald (9/15/2010)

In SQL2008 notruncate and truncateonly are not applicable to log files. So in fact what is happening is notruncate and truncateonly are ignored when it is a log file. This means that the command you are running is in fact reducing the log file as much as it is able to (i.e. to the last active virtual log file)

yes, when i run dbcc shrinkfile (mylog,truncateonly) and then run

dbcc sqlperf (logspace)

log space filling % increase every time with little increment.

i was on full recovery model

check where the last active VLF is using dbcc loginfo(dbname). A value of 2 in the status column means the VLF contains active transactions and the log will not shrink beyond that point.

I didnt check this point, i will consider this one now...

so, may i conclude, WE ALWAYS HAVE TO CHANGE RECOVERY MODEL TO SIMPLE WHEN GOING FOR LOG SHRINK ???

although it is not a good practice to shrink log files

• fawwad (9/16/2010)

george sibbald (9/15/2010)

In SQL2008 notruncate and truncateonly are not applicable to log files. So in fact what is happening is notruncate and truncateonly are ignored when it is a log file. This means that the command you are running is in fact reducing the log file as much as it is able to (i.e. to the last active virtual log file)

yes, when i run dbcc shrinkfile (mylog,truncateonly) and then run

dbcc sqlperf (logspace)

log space filling % increase every time with little increment.

i was on full recovery model

I didnt check this point, i will consider this one now...

so, may i conclude, WE ALWAYS HAVE TO CHANGE RECOVERY MODEL TO SIMPLE WHEN GOING FOR LOG SHRINK ???

although it is not a good practice to shrink log files

No - that is not true.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply