sql 2005 x64 install but nothing in Programs group

• i am trying to install SQL 2005 x64 on a Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 server (not a clustered environment fyi). it seems to go through the install fine. i am able to select Database Services and Analysis Services (per our software vendor's request). i get the Successfully Installed prompt at the end. but when i go to Start | Programs, i see Microsoft SQL Server 2005 | Configuration Tools | SQL Server Configuration Manager, Error and Usage Reporting, and Surface Area Configuration. i don't see Managment Studio or Analysis Services. what am i missing? i'm sure it's something small and i've looked at it so many times that it's probably staring me right in the face. i was even able to apply SQL 2005 SP3 afterwards and no errors/messages from that. i've seen this happen one other time and have no idea what caused it them but in that case i simply launched the setup.exe a 2nd time and magically it showed up. not so in this case as i've gone through the install/uninstall about 7 times today. i appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Happy is as Goofy does!

• The database engine and analysis services engines are services - not applications. You won't see them in Programs, but you will see them in the services applet (services.msc).

It sounds like you are missing the client tools. You need to select the client and workstation tools during the install also - which will add SSMS and BIDS (applications) and those will show up in Programs.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• that was it! i selected Workstation Components and verified that Client Tools was going to be installed. after the install SSMS and all other goodies i'd expect showed up in the menu. thanks so much for the help and sorry for my ignorance on this. not sure how i got so confused on this as i've installed 2005 many times but never forgot to check that!

Happy is as Goofy does!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply