SQL 2005 Upgrade / SP2

• My company is just now getting to upgrade to SQL 2005 and while I am thoroughly testing the process I was wondering what everyone thinks about applying SP2. Is it worth it to move to SP2 during the upgrade or should I wait. I see alot of mixed press about it.

Any feedback is apprciated.

• SP2 seems to introduce almost as many problems as it fixes. That said, if I were doing an install today and didn't face one of the specific issues that SP2 has introduced, then I'd go for it. As a matter of fact, I have. So far, knock wood, we've been lucky and haven't run into any issues using SP2.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'll make sure I fully text it then. Thanks!

• we qa'd SQL 2005 SP1 and that is what we are installing until our QA signs off on SP2 and that is going to be months away. for now it's SP1 except DBA test and dev servers.

last generation it seemed MS service packs were like star trek. the evens were the best. now it's all like the star wars prequels

• If you have no systems already using SQL 2005, then I reccommend you go to SQL 2005 SP2 + Hotfix rollup.  Do your QA on that and resolve any issues that arise.  If you already have SQL 2005 in production, use that fix level and treat SP2 in the same way as any other upgrade.

If instead you use SQL 2005 RTM or SQL 2005 SP1, you will still find issues during your QA process that you need to fix.  Some of these will be resolved by SP2 + HF rollup, some will be new.  The point is, you will have some work to do either way, so you may as well use the latest software to avoid the pain of doing the QA for it at a later date.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply