SQL 2005 Snapshots

• Hi All,

I am not sure if snapshots will be able to do what i want to do here, I am running some diagnosis on one of our systems, and I need the snapshot/state of the Database, but I dont want it to reflect the live, as the live one keeps changing every few minutes, will a snapshot be the state of teh DB for that point in time without any updates, so if i create a snapshot at 1PM and the DB changes at 2PM, will my snapshot reflect this and what can I do if i dont want it to reflect this ?

Thanks.

• The snapshot reflects committed data at the time it was created, and it will always reflect that version regardless of any changes made to the source database.

• To add to Matt, it will only show data that was at 1PM in your database. But any data that hasn't changed since 1PM and you doing analysis on that it will go back to main database to get that information.

Snapshot doesn't take full copy of the database when you create it. It only moves pages that have changed since your snapshot creation.

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• thanks guys

• ... and adding on to Mohit, the initial size of the Snapshot will be 0 and it will grow as data changes. This way Any data retrieved from the Snapshot will be as of 1PM in your case, so keep in mind the growth of the snapshot....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply