SQL 2005 - MDF deleted LOG file available

• hi,

They dont have a manual file backup or db backup. the client doenst have a well known IT person also.

can i know is it possible now with these situation.

currently they are trying to build the databse by excel data (old data from other places in excel) insert is it a good idea when the data to be inserted is huge and for past 3 or 4 years.

i want to know this because of knowledge improvement and precautionary basis

thanks

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• I would look at SSIS, import wizard or some other BULK INSERT mechanism if you have a lot of data to feed into sql server.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• It sounds like this latest question is something different from your original post. If that is indeed the case, please remember that new & unrelated questions should have their own topics. You're more likely to get better help that way than by keeping one thread open for all your questions.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Do you still need help in trying to recover this DB via the tran log (if possible)?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (4/1/2010)

chrisph (3/31/2010)

Is it possible the server team could go back and restore the .mdf from their backup procedures?

I would check/ask if they have "volume shadow copy" enabled on the server. If so they can point to an older version of the folder containing the .mdf.

Yikes! Bad idea. Unless the database was offline, detached, or the services were off at the time, you can't recover a database from a server backup tape. The .mdf is exclusively "owned" by SQL and will be corrupted if you even try.

Original post pointed out the server was offline when the file was deleted, that is why I suggested this, but alas backup not available.

• hi,

yes still want to recover it because while trying inserting more than a year data may miss out that too from different sources.

i want to update my knowledge as a DBA

thanks for all your post.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• durai nagarajan (4/5/2010)

yes still want to recover it because while trying inserting more than a year data may miss out that too from different sources.

You never did answer Gail's question.

Is SQL still running, is the database (the original, with the deleted mdf and current ldf) still visible within SQL? (if you query sys.databases, does that DB name come back?)

Could you answer this for us?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply