SQL 2005 licensing for Blackberry Enterprise Server

• I am told the BES does all the talking to SQL and the phones never talk direct to SQL.

Phones send data to BES, BES sends data to phones.

Here is the catch, The phones are backed up on SQL. SO there is an indirect way of connecting to SQL. Does this mean if you do not have a processor license, you need device or users cals for it?

M$ says yes, RIM says no.

Many BES admins say no, but it looks like yes.

What do you think.

• BUMP...:hehe:

• Thanks, I know, I am the knottyrope guy.

But I wanted the opinion of SQL gurus.

• You are multiplexing here. This is the same as a web server talking to users and only talking to SQL. Still the users are using SQL Server indirectly through a multiplexer, so licensing needs to account for that.

The discussion centers around the users using data from SQL Server. This appears to be a unique situation. If users aren't using SQL Server data, meaning that the number of users doesn't affect the data, then I'd say one license. If more data appears because of more users, meaning more rules stored in the db as to what BES does for the users, I can see MS taking their stance and requiring CALS.

Ultimately it's a risk issue. Do you want to get sued by MS and are you confident you can win? It may or may not happen. I'm sure MS wants this to be a CAL per device so that they can increase revenue.

I tend not to agree with the MS stance. To me, the data is in Exchange, and you've licensed for Exchange, shouldn't have to dual license. However it's a risk issue and I have no idea how this would be tried/arbitrated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply