SQL 2005 License

• I have what is probably a stupid question but I cannot find an answer in BOL or Google searches.

How do I determine what licensing model SQL 2005 is running under?

I have installed SQL 2005 and was expecting it to ask me the licensening model to use during the installation.  It did not and now I cannot find where in the system that I can determine what licensening model it is using or how to change it if necessary.

Thanks for your help

• Not a stupid question at all...  The answer however is debatable...

You don't.

In SQL 2k you could run

select serverproperty('LicenseType')

But that didn't always generate unambiguous results either, so in 2005, MS apparently just gave up.  If you run that query it just returns "Disabled".

MS is relying on you to keep good records, and you can bet that in an audit they'll expect to see them.  Some people call it the honor system, but I think it makes our job just that much harder.  I mean who hasn't come into a new job and asked the same question you just did, only to get a big collective shrug?  Well, now what are you supposed to do?

http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/09/28/763883.aspx

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Thanks for the quick answer.  I don't feel quite as stupid as before, however my opinion of Microsoft has been reduced.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply