Sql 2005 Instance; dynamic ports and firewall issue

• We have an internal sql 2000 server that acts as the database backend for our

Internet presence. I believe that the sql server can be accessed because of a

firewall "exception" (?) that allows the external web server to talk to the

sql server using a specific IP address and port (namely that of the sql server.)

Now we need to install a sql 2005 instance on the same box which needs to act

as an Internet backend. The sql browser service will resolve all client

requests to the default or named instance. But I read that the sql browser service

assigns a "dynamic" port to the Instance! If that is the case, it's unlikely that,

unless the firewall has all ports open for outgoing traffic, that the sql instance will be

able to communicate with the web server.

My conclusion:

Leave the default instance (sql 2000) port at its current value;

assign the named instance an unused port;

Make sure the sql browser is running on the box!

Tell the firewall guys to make an exception for the new port.

Does this seems reasonable to you?

TIA,

barkingdog

• yep.

That's how I would do it.

btw.you can install the instance using dynamic ports, up to the sp/cu level you want it to be and then fix the portnumber.

Maybe it isn't a bad idea to run MS best practise analyser for the instance.

(they 've just released a new version)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• If you want a fixed port, this can be configured using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Click on Network Configuration then look at 'Protocols for instance-name', right-click on TCP/IP and select Properties. In the IPAll section, set your required port in the TCP Port box.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• If this is cluastered SQL Server you can use the same port as default instance (1433). I recommen however to change deafults.

MCP ID# 1115468 Ceritified Since 1998
    MCP, MCSE, MCP+I, MCSE+I, MCSA,
    MCDBA SQL7.0 SQL 2000, MCTS SQL 2005

• One of my team members recommended assigning the sql server a new IP address dedicated to the new instance. We could then use the same TCP PORT as the default instance. He thought that isolating by instance and IP represents a better seperation than using the same IP.

I'm not sure of the pros\cons of this approach. Any thoughts appreciated.

barkingdog

• I'd advise against trying to hammer everything into Port 1433. It tends to get the server confused, especially when "internal" things like Agent, Analysis services, etc... try to access services on the same machine.

Not to say that having a different IP for the stuff coming from your web server isn't a good idea. It actually is - just leave the ports separate, IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply