SQL 2005 Device Licensing Question

• If I have a web server that hundreds/thousands of people can connect to that is running a Cold Fusion application and that application links to SQL Server 2005, can I just get one device cal for the web server since everyone is connecting through the same ODBC and the same device? Client does not have the all inclusive processor license.

Thank you.

Roger

• Unfortunately, no. You need a license for each user that accesses the database through the web site. In this case, you really need the per processor license for SQL Server.

😎

• Thanks. But what if all they had were device cals? They would still need user cals?

Roger

• Directly from Microsoft:

MULTIPLEXING: USE OF MIDDLEWARE, TRANSACTION SERVERS, AND MULTITIERED ARCHITECTURES

Sometimes organizations develop network scenarios that use various forms of hardware and/or software that reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software on a particular server, often called multiplexing or pooling hardware or software. Use of such multiplexing or pooling hardware and/or software does not reduce the number of CALs required to access or use SQL Server software. A CAL is required for each distinct device or user that is connected to the multiplexing or pooling software or hardware front end.

This is true no matter how many tiers of hardware or software exist between the SQL Server and the client devices that ultimately use its data, services or functionality. An exception to this includes the manual transfer of data from employee to employee. For example, if an employee sends an Excel version of a report to another employee, the receiving employee does not require a CAL (as long as the report does not access a SQL Server in some way). An additional exception is communication exclusively between SQL servers

😎

• Roger Abram (10/22/2008)

If I have a web server that hundreds/thousands of people can connect to that is running a Cold Fusion application and that application links to SQL Server 2005, can I just get one device cal for the web server since everyone is connecting through the same ODBC and the same device? Client does not have the all inclusive processor license.

Thank you.

Roger

you would be best to use per processor licencing in this case

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply