SQL 2005 backwards compatibilty

• Does anyone know whether it will be possible for a SQL 2005 database to be backed up and then restored on a SQL 2000 server, please?  I agree that this is unlikely but I have a customer with 2005.

• if you have both SQL2005 and SQL 2000 , you can retore the 2005 on a 2005 instance, and then use SQL2000 DTS to connect to the 2005 server and database and copy objects via DTS to the 2000 server . (you can also do the same with SQL2000 and 7, if you need the data in SQL7 format.)

it's much slower than backup and restore, but you can get all the objects (not the default of tables...select 3rd option of objects and get tables/procs/functions/views), get it on the sql 2000, and then back it up from there.

I have not heard of any way to restore a 2005 on a 2000 machine directly; you typically get a false error about "the backup uses more than 64 ...something something" when you try it., and i had not heard anything about using sql2005 to backup to a previous version type.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Many thanks Lowell.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply