SQL 2000 - Local Backup or Network Backup

• Server: SQL 2000

DB size: 90GB

While backingup the database, which is the optimised way?

1. Taking backup on the server A itself

2. Taking backup on a network share, say \\Share

We need to restore the backup on another server. So Copying a backup file from Server A to Server B takes lot of time. Am I correct in assuming that. If so, I can take the backup on to a share folder and from there and i can restore it on the destination server.

Which is the best way?

• In my case, I think backup on the local server, and maybe its ok if you use on a network folder if you have enough storage and depends on the speed of the network

• If network bandwidth is OK you can continue with backup on network server, just ensure that this process doesn't have an impact on any other processes scheduled on the server.

Cheers,

Satnam

• If your search this and other forums you will find a lot of posts from people who have had trouble backing up over a network.

I have had similar trouble in the past, where a backup would often fail part way through, for what can only be described as a network glitch. Some nights it would be fine, other nights it would fail. We even raised a case with Microsoft Support, who could come up with no satisfactory explanation or solution.

The advice from nearly all of these posts (and my advice) is to back up locally, then copy to the network.

• Its depends upon ur network bandwidth....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply