SQL 2000 IDENTITY ON/OFF

• I am copying data from an inner join condition to select only applicable data for an external customer.

My problem is that I need to deselect the column attribute ie. ID int identity (1,1) not null in order for the transaction to complete.

I have tried the following with no success, option 1 wont run and option 2 runs but has no effect

ALTER TABLE tbl_765_associated_ap

ALTER COLUMN ID int identity (1,1) not null

ALTER COLUMN ID int not null

So far I am altering the tables manually, any ideas?

Glen Parker 🙂

• GlenParker (5/14/2010)

I am copying data from an inner join condition to select only applicable data for an external customer.

My problem is that I need to deselect the column attribute ie. ID int identity (1,1) not null in order for the transaction to complete.

I have tried the following with no success, option 1 wont run and option 2 runs but has no effect

ALTER COLUMN ID int identity (1,1) not null

ALTER COLUMN ID int not null

So far I am altering the tables manually, any ideas?

Glen your post wasn't clear..you said you were copying....so if that means you are inserting into a table, and want to avoid using the identity() property of the table, that's what i toook this to mean. If not, be more specific, and show us what you are doing, please.

If my guess was right then in that case you want to do this:

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [tbl_765_associated_ap] ON

INSERT INTO [tbl_765_associated_ap](ID,OtherColumns)

SELECT SOMEID,SomeOtherColumns FROM SomeotherTable

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [tbl_765_associated_ap] OFF

{edit: fixed missing underscores of identity_insert}

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell, thanks for your input, should have been clearer in the first instance, script as follows;

INSERT INTO [tbl_765_documents_temp](ID, [765_id], [765_Document], Document_title, filename, filesize, contenttype, filedata, date_attached)

SELECT ID, [765_id], [765_Document], Document_title, filename, filesize, contenttype, filedata, date_attached

FROMtbl_765_documents INNER JOIN tbl_765_register ON [765_id] = id_765

WHEREap_id LIKE '101B-0701%' OR ap_id LIKE '101B-0703%'

I've inherited the table 'tbl_765_register' from the original administrator and wary of incurring anomalies by manually adding the Identity attribute to the production database. It does work on a shadow DB but would prefer to switch the attribute off/on for the transaction.

PS tried the SET [IDENTITY] INSERT [tbl_765_documents_temp] ON

but keep getting the following;

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'IDENTITY'.

I'm running SS8.00.760 (SP 3)

Glen Parker 🙂

• ahh that's just syntax; the SET switch is for IDENTITY_INSERT, all one word with an underscore,no brackets around identity; i fat fingered my example and forgot the underscore.

--you had SET [IDENTITY] INSERT [tbl_765_documents_temp] ON

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [tbl_765_documents_temp] ON

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Excellent, works as advertised!

Thanks for your time and effort.

May all your hangovers be swiftly cured...

Glen Parker 🙂

Glen Parker 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply