SPLA License question

• I've never used SPLA lic before.  I'm at a new company that requires it to host applications.

I've reviewed the User Rights docs.  Can someone confirm if I have this correct?

3 node AG Cluster, 2 HA and 1 DR server.   (4 cores each, SQL 2019 Ent)

I think I have to license 8 cores, 4 for the primary and 4 for the DR.

I get one free failover (HA) that runs no active prod work?

Thanks for the insight

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  rothj.
  • IMO you should talk to your Microsoft Representative. I know that software assurance has benefits that include not having to license passive standby servers for HA and DR. I don't believe SA is automatically included in SPLA. I believe you have to add on licensing mobility to get SA.

Don't take my word for it! Check with your Microsoft Rep.

• Definitely check with your Microsoft rep. Any opinion on from this site about the validity of what you are doing is just an opinion. Your Microsoft rep knows the legal position, and that is what you need to comply with.

I suggest you tell Microsoft what you want to do and ask how many cores you need to license.  In other words, get them to tell you the cost.

If you ask them 'will 8 cores cover this situation' you could get an answer of Yes if you need only 4 cores. Get them to advise you the best way to meet your business needs and what the costs of doing that will be.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Agree 100%.  Talk to the vendor who sold you the license or talk to MS directly.  Licensing is much more complicated now than in the past, so talk to an expert in that area.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply