Specify TCP Port for named instance of SQL Server

• Hello all, any help will be greatly appreciated.  I would like a named instance of SQL Server 2005 to use a specified TCP port.  I want to do this so I can open that port through our firewall and allow users to access from the outside.  A default instance is currently using the standard port 1433.  It seems that I can specify any port I want for the default instance but I can only use dynamically assigned ports for named instances.  This won't work as everytime the instance starts up it gets a different port.  Anyone know of a solution/work-around for this problem?

Thanks,

John

• Hello John,

I'm not aware of the correct answer you require but would suggest you to go through the help available in SQL 2005 Books Online for topic

Connecting to SQL Server over the Internet

In this they have given the answer for your requirement.

Thanks and have a nice day!!!

Lucky

• Not sure if it is the same in 2005 but in SQL Server 2000 you use the server network utility (which you can get to from the start menu items for SQL server or from clicking on 'Network Configuration' in the server properties in Enterprise manager). Look for the TCP/IP protocol - select it and click 'Properties' - then enter your required port.

Best to change it from the default port as it may help deter hacking attempts.

"Don`t try to engage my enthusiasm, I don`t have one."

(Marvin)

• The Configuration Manager or the Properties of the server in SSMS should help you here.

• BOL for Sql Server 2005: "How to: Configure the Database Engine to Listen on Multiple TCP Ports"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply