SP_Cycle_Errorlog Rename issue...

• Attempting to resolve Errorlog file size problem via the SP_Cycle_Errorlog. I've expanded the number of Errorlogs files from 6 to 18. I've also created a job with a step that runs SP_Cycle_Errorlog. It is owned by a member of our administrators group.

While it runs successfully by creating a new ERRORLOG, it does not rename the original ERRORLOG to ERRORLOG.1. The directory now has 2 ERRORLOG files.

Viewing the properties (of the file that should be named ERRORLOG.1), the file is owned by administrators (same as the others). The ERRORLOG property details shows the file name as Errorlog.1.

BTW - the duplicate ERRORLOG will rename to ERRORLOG.2, ERRORLOG.2 will rename to ERRORLOG.3 etc. on subsequent tests. Errorlog contents tell me "the error log has been reinitialized". The eventviewer indicates the same.

I'm working in a development environment so there is limited activity. Is there some kind of hold on the ERRORLOG? It does not 'appear' to be a permissions issue. Is this a non-issue issue?

Any comments would be appreciated - thank you.

• jralston88 (9/11/2012)

Attempting to resolve Errorlog file size problem via the SP_Cycle_Errorlog. I've expanded the number of Errorlogs files from 6 to 18. I've also created a job with a step that runs SP_Cycle_Errorlog. It is owned by a member of our administrators group.

While it runs successfully by creating a new ERRORLOG, it does not rename the original ERRORLOG to ERRORLOG.1. The directory now has 2 ERRORLOG files.

Viewing the properties (of the file that should be named ERRORLOG.1), the file is owned by administrators (same as the others). The ERRORLOG property details shows the file name as Errorlog.1.

BTW - the duplicate ERRORLOG will rename to ERRORLOG.2, ERRORLOG.2 will rename to ERRORLOG.3 etc. on subsequent tests. Errorlog contents tell me "the error log has been reinitialized". The eventviewer indicates the same.

I'm working in a development environment so there is limited activity. Is there some kind of hold on the ERRORLOG? It does not 'appear' to be a permissions issue. Is this a non-issue issue?

Any comments would be appreciated - thank you.

I'm lost. How do you know that the original ERRORLOG is not renamed to ERRORLOG.1, etc.

• Lynn,

>> How do you know that the original ERRORLOG is not renamed to ERRORLOG.1, etc.

The logs directory now has 2 ERRORLOG files. There is no ERRORLOG.1 file. There is ERRORLOG.2, ERRORLOG.3 etc.

• sounds like an explorer display issue rather than a sql issue, so I dont think you have a problem here, especially as they cycle OK..

In explorer in organize view is hide known extension types ticked? what happens if you uncheck that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• George,

>>In explorer in organize view is hide known extension types ticked? what happens if you uncheck that? >>

That was it. Thank you!!

Bob

• pleasure

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply