SP3 Update Problems

• Hello!

I am having some trouble installing SP3 on 1 machine. Its a windows XP desktop andthe SQL version is Developer edition, sp2.

I have installed it fine on all our other machines, all the same dev build, but this 1 is giving me some trouble. It just fails out on the database service upgrade part. All the other components upgraded fine.

Some extracts from the log look like this:

[font="Courier New"]Property(S): SQL200532Hotfix4035 = c:\3b1878386d76f2bb4ae62398\HotFixSQL\Files\sqlrun_sql.msp

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:812]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Update 'Service Pack 3 for SQL Server Database Services 2005 ENU (KB955706)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup

Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB955706_sqlrun_sql.msp.log.

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:828]: Note: 1: 1729

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:828]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:828]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:843]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:58:843]: Transforming table Error.[/font]

Has anoyone else come across anything similar when doing their SP3 installs?

How would I fix this? We need to get sp3 in to patch the security hole that was recently discovered.

Thanks for any help!

• Look at this thread, it's regarding a prior issue very similar to the one that you are having

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic531767-149-2.aspx

What entries are in the bootstrap log?

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Attached:

SQL9_Hotfix_KB955706_sqlrun_sql.msp.log,

Summary.txt

HotFix.Log

• From the logs that you've attached it looks like there is an error when trying to patch Full Text Indexing.

Here is the relevant portion of the log:

MSI (s) (B4:CC) [09:29:53:656]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CAFTEInstallFTERef.68C6D15C_77E0_11D5_8528_00C04F68155C,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=InstallFTERef,CustomActionData=c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\FTERef\|C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\)

MSI (s) (B4:30) [09:29:53:656]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI6C.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallFTERef

FTECa.DLL: INFO: FTE: InstallFTERef(), Entering...

FTECa.DLL: INFO: FTE: GetFTERefInstallParams: FTERef : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTDataFTECa.DLL: ERROR: FTE: InstallFTERef: Fail to create FTERef file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTDataoiseCHS.txt, Err=3

Look to see if this folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\ exists. If it doesn't, create it, and attempt the install again.

Let me know what happens (for good or bad)

• Well, that looks like it may have solved the problem! FTData was missing.

Adding the FTData folder back looks to have worked, the patch installed sucessfully.

We have a customised directory structure which means that all the SQL server data, logs and FTIndexes etc are stored in c:\DbDEV\MSSQL etc etc, not the default location.

The difference between this pc and the others which worked was that the FTData directory was moved from the original location, whereas the others were just copied- meaning that the original FTData folder was still present.

Replace the missing DIR with a new (empty) one and the patch completes successfully.

Thank you so much for taking the time to trawl my logs. I did have a look, but couldn't see the vital piece of information.

I hope this helps others with similar problems too!

• Glad it worked. 🙂

• I had the same error and this fixed mine also. Thanks

SB

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply