• paul s-306273 (4/26/2012)

This article was posted in 2005 on TechRepublic:

I knew I had seen that before!! :ermm: cheers guys

• good question!!! thanks!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • I have rewritten the explanation. Thanks for pointing out the issue.

I have also contacted the author.

• Edit: The following is mainly nonsense, but I've left it in so that subsequent replies make sense 🙂

some harsh responses IMHO. Who knows whether the author made use of a bit of code from the internet 7 years ago and forgot the source, or maybe one of his co-workers copied it and it's been around on their database for the last few years?

If I were to post a procedure like that, then I'd make sure my name was in a comment at the top, so unthinking copy-and-pasters would preserve the attribution, requiring a conscious decision to deceive if they wanted to delete the author details.

• Nice and easy -- after several days of low correct responses percentages this one is really high.

Original or not, thanks for the question!

• Toreador (4/26/2012)

some harsh responses IMHO. Who knows whether the author made use of a bit of code from the internet 7 years ago and forgot the source, or maybe one of his co-workers copied it and it's been around on their database for the last few years?

It wasn't just the code of a stored procedure; the original comment was a verbatim copy of the TechRepublic post. Including personal comments such as "Recursion is one of the most elegant programming constructs in my opinion. I have used it in dozens of situations and in several programming languages".

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Ah. That's different...

• I enjoyed the discussion for this question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hugo Kornelis (4/26/2012)

I love the "don't know" option, and I agree with the poster above that those who rightfully tick that box should get a point. 😉

Only if they can properly answer the following question:

You flip a coin -- the proper call is

-1- either "heads" or "tails"

-2- neither "heads" nor "tails"

-3- Don't Know

• edit: I see someone already said this. I should have looked on the next page of comments before posting and then I would not have posted.

==============================

Toreador (4/26/2012)

If I were to post a procedure like that, then I'd make sure my name was in a comment at the top, so unthinking copy-and-pasters would preserve the attribution, requiring a conscious decision to deceive if they wanted to delete the author details.

I shouldn't think anyone cares about the code as such. The text was pretty much a direct copy from the blog entry, too, and that is rather more of an issue.

Tom

• Nice question. I apperently missed something about the explanation.

Ah well... 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/26/2012)

I have rewritten the explanation. Thanks for pointing out the issue.

I have also contacted the author.

Thanks for that Steve.

• I received an apology from the author. I suspect it was a lack of understanding, and plan to let it go.

• Interesting topic and good summary on the nested SP.

Thank you.

• Thank for the question

Iulian

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply