so close with FOR XML EXPLICIT!

• Hello,

If there is anyone experienced with FOR XML EXPLICT that would like to look at my query I would be very grateful. I am 99% of the way to getting my XML the way I need it but am stuck on one child element.:crazy:

Thanks!

Jonatrhan

• Since I know just how HORRIFIC the XML EXPLICIT statements can be, I shudder to say this, but go ahead and post the query (maybe as an attachment) and someone will look at it.

Just a question, since you're working SQL Server 2005, why not use XML PATH? It's one hell of a lot easier to work with than XML EXPLICIT (UNION...UNION...UNION...UNION blech).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Actually I am working with 2000.

I have attached "problem.txt" that has my xml as it is, xml that I need to get to and my query.

Thanks very much for any help!

Jonathan

• First thing I noticed is that it looks like you need to add another element here:

NULL AS [Profile!3!EVPersonalFunds!element],

NULL AS [SiteOfActivity!4!siteofactivityname!element],

You want it to be something like this (and of course, you'll have to change all the down stream code):

NULL AS [Profile!3!EVPersonalFunds!element],

NULL AS [SitesOfActivity!4!SitesOfActivity!element],

NULL AS [SiteOfActivity!5!siteofactivityname!element],

There's probably other stuff in there too.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks. Working on it now ...

• Got it! But I don't understand it! I hope I never have to write another FOR XML EXPLICT again.

I have attached what works (Followup.txt). I found I had to include at least one of the SiteOfActivity column names in the SELECT for SitesOfActivity (the one that starts

SELECT

even though this section returns no data. Otherwise I get a "Tag 4 is not among the open tags ..."

I have included them all here.

I have no idea why this works. Life is too short.

thanks!

Jonathan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply