SNMP : more info needed

• I am trying to setup snmp monitoring. I have been through the information found in the MSDN library.

I would like to use snmp and a share ware product called "What's UP Gold" to monitor our database servers at various sites. We are an Oracle and SQL Server shop and are looking for a single line of products to monitor both, it looks like these two should do it, but I need more information. We will soon have servers (over 100) at 6+sites.

Anyone using SNMP? "What's up Gold"?

Thanks,

Joseph

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I have never used SNMP to monitor SQL Server in the past, but I have used Whats Up. IMHO, it as awesome product, and if configured right you won't need to use SNMP. But if you still feel the need to go that route, take a look at using the WMI provider instead to monitor SQL Server and Oracle.

Tim C //Will code for food

Tim C //Will code for food

• Andy,

We use "What UP" for our enterprise monitoring. You said "low tech". I would be interested if you have an suggestions on "high tech" options that will handle various platforms / hardware / software and databases. We are always looking for better ways. We currently have it tied into our email and paging system as well.

Thanks,

Joseph

• On the contrary, what I meant to say - and said poorly - is that our solution is low tech compared to yours! I've got three production and one dev server, so I just check the logs daily.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thanks for replying.

I was hoping someone finally found a simpler method for monitoring software and databases.

With only 3 of us DBA's, it is hard to research these projects and maintain everything as well.

Thanks again,

Joseph

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply